Faulty BBQ....suggestions, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A follow-up to this.

Does anyone have experience with the infra-red side burners?

Iknow conventional side burners are OK, but have been told the infra-red ones are quite susceptible to damage if used in winter or if they get water spilled on them due to rapid heat changes.
    Some of the possible new BBQs I have to consider have only these types and, since I use the BBQ whether it is raining or snowing, I want to be sure they can last.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
      A follow-up to this.

Does anyone have experience with the infra-red side burners?

I know conventional side burners are OK, but have been told the infra-red ones are quite susceptible to damage if used in winter or if they get water spilled on them due to rapid heat changes.
      Some of the possible new BBQs I have to consider have only these types and, since I use the BBQ whether it is raining or snowing, I want to be sure they can last.
      I am leaning toward a Napoleon as replacement, but am still unsure about the infra-red side burner.

Does anyone have them, or have direct experience with them?
      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I am leaning toward a Napoleon as replacement, but am still unsure about the infra-red side burner.

Does anyone have them, or have direct experience with them?
        Before spending $1k on a grill I'd call the manufacturer and explain what you expect, and then see what they say. No way I'd leave and investment like that out in the weather but then my opinion doesn't matter.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Before spending $1k on a grill I'd call the manufacturer and explain what you expect, and then see what they say. No way I'd leave and investment like that out in the weather but then my opinion doesn't matter.
          Ed, I understand your concerns, and think you may not have read all of the earlier posts on this thread,

I am not leaving it out and unattended for a long time in all weathers: I USE it almost every week, year round, whether we get rain, snow or sun.

The one I just bought (Broil King Baron) allows water to almost freely run inside while the lid is fully closed and the thermometer shows 400F
          Sure, some of the water evaporates, but a surprising amount of it gets inside even during moderate rainfall. That causes the grease trap to overflow which creates a fire hazard, as well as making a mess.
          I have never experienced or even heard of any BBQ having anything remotely like this problem and used the cell phone to show the store manager as it was happening with the lid closed, steam rising off it, while the thermometer said internal temperature was 400F.

He and his department manager agree that something is seriously wrong with this device and will accept a return and order a replacement of my choosing.

I am looking at a Napoleon Rogue XT 525, which is similar in size and features, but has an infra-red side burner instead of a conventional flame side burner.

Infra red works by pushing the gas through a small porous block and I am wondering how it will fare during winter. I do not know anyone who has this feature, so I am asking GSR for help.

I already sent a message to Napoleon via their website asking about this, but have not yet received a response.

The store wanted me to return the present one on Monday, but I may have to delay as I want to be at least fairly sure of the Napoleon before committing to it. .
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Ed, I understand your concerns, and think you may not have read all of the earlier posts on this thread,

I am not leaving it out and unattended for a long time in all weathers: I USE it almost every week, year round, whether we get rain, snow or sun.

The one I just bought (Broil King Baron) allows water to almost freely run inside while the lid is fully closed and the thermometer shows 400F
            Sure, some of the water evaporates, but a surprising amount of it gets inside even during moderate rainfall. That causes the grease trap to overflow which creates a fire hazard, as well as making a mess.
            I have never experienced or even heard of any BBQ having anything remotely like this problem and used the cell phone to show the store manager as it was happening with the lid closed, steam rising off it, while the thermometer said internal temperature was 400F.

He and his department manager agree that something is seriously wrong with this device and will accept a return and order a replacement of my choosing.

I am looking at a Napoleon Rogue XT 525, which is similar in size and features, but has an infra-red side burner instead of a conventional flame side burner.

Infra red works by pushing the gas through a small porous block and I am wondering how it will fare during winter. I do not know anyone who has this feature, so I am asking GSR for help.

I already sent a message to Napoleon via their website asking about this, but have not yet received a response.

The store wanted me to return the present one on Monday, but I may have to delay as I want to be at least fairly sure of the Napoleon before committing to it. .
            You're missing my point. Ask Napoleon if that unit is rated to sit outside in the weather and not get water inside where it can cause havoc? The burner is a side issue.

I've got a Weber and there are holes on the sides for a spit to go through. Water that lands on the top of the unit can run down the sides and enter the unit through these holes, where it will run down into the grease tray. It's not a funnel or anything, but clearly there are holes on the side and if, for example, there is some wind pushing the rain sidewise, it will come in. Of course, I don't leave it out in the weather so I don't care but just saying.

I strongly suggest you get the manufacturers stance on the weather resistance of the grill you choose before purchase. Then live with the decision.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You're missing my point. Ask Napoleon if that unit is rated to sit outside in the weather and not get water inside where it can cause havoc? The burner is a side issue.

I've got a Weber and there are holes on the sides for a spit to go through. Water that lands on the top of the unit can run down the sides and enter the unit through these holes, where it will run down into the grease tray. It's not a funnel or anything, but clearly there are holes on the side and if, for example, there is some wind pushing the rain sidewise, it will come in. Of course, I don't leave it out in the weather so I don't care but just saying.

I strongly suggest you get the manufacturers stance on the weather resistance of the grill you choose before purchase. Then live with the decision.

Whatever I bought, I wouldn't leave it outside in the rain uncovered and I wouldn't be cooking in the rain with it either.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Maybe you can shelter it in your ear warmer?
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                  I did see a mini grill a few weeks ago that probably could be kept under a hat. LOL

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks again, Ed.

I sent a message to Napoleon via their website and am waiting for their reply. Even if they give some qualifications, I will take it. I cannot tolerate the Broil King as there is an obvious risk of grease fire as well as the mess it causes.

My last BBQ was a Weber and it gave me zero problems in ten years of use. It was never covered and still had all of its original parts. The man who took it from me said he was amazed to find what I told him was true: it was working perfectly.

My sole complaint with it was it had only three burners that produced uneven heat in cold weather.

I wanted to upgrade to four burners and have always wanted a side burner. Weber does not have that except on much larger units that are not within my price range. The Broil King has all of that plus heavy stainless steel grills and a big bonus is the folding shelves, including the side burner one. It is wider than the Weber and my wife is adamant about having the shelves.

Napoleon uses cast iron grills (so did the Weber) but has all the other features. It is 3 inches wider than the Broil King, so the folding shelves are needed to meet my wife's demand.

Edit: Here is the listing for it: https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-bbq...teel-330725253
                    Last edited by argonsagas; 10-24-2021, 09:21 AM.
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                      I presume that means something to you, but not to me, so for that comment I give you a "D", Cipher.
                      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                        Whatever I bought, I wouldn't leave it outside in the rain uncovered and I wouldn't be cooking in the rain with it either.
                        Up here, many people (maybe most) who own them actually have a “BBQ season” and use theirequipment only during warm, sunny days, which we get here for about 5 to 6 months a year. Other times the equipment is kept covered and unused.

I can compare BBQ “season” to motorcycling: some owners might get caught in an unexpected shower, but otherwise NEVER go out in rain and a loooong ride for them might be 80 miles round trip. If longer distance is involved, they carry their bikes in trailers. For most others when daytime temperatures regularly are below 50F/10C (usually mid-October, as right now the temperature is 1C/34F) their bikes get parked for the winter and they stay parked until Spring, when temperatures rise above that mark again.

As you may recall from my years of posting on GSR my 1100G and 1100GK bikes saw use in every month of the year, on roads that were wet, dry, icy or snow-covered, and the GK even had a legitimate iron-butt ride. My first Bandit and I would leave home in the morning to visit Ottawa area and return home same night when temperatures were near freezing, roughly 700 miles round trip.

My bikes have seen use in all types of weather, regardless of season.. So do my BBQs. .

Broil King is the only BBQ that has failed to meet my expectations of use, and it failed VERY badly.
                        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Broil King is the only BBQ that has failed to meet my expectations of use, and it failed VERY badly.
                          I think you're being silly because you need a crusade and something to gripe about. A leak in a grill doesn't make my life crisis list. It's more like finding you have a burned out turn signal bulb on the car and fuming about what kind of new car you will have to buy because of it. LOL. It appears there is no problem working on a motorcycle, but installing a gasket on a lid is beyond ability. Sheesh!
                          Last edited by earlfor; 10-24-2021, 10:58 AM.

Comment

As you are concerned in this case with the infrared burner wouldn't it be relatively easy just to slip a plastic bag over it during periods of non use ? Side burners aren't very big ......
                            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                            1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                              As you are concerned in this case with the infrared burner wouldn't it be relatively easy just to slip a plastic bag over it during periods of non use ? Side burners aren't very big ......
                              That is a KISS solution....... and an excellent one!

I got my response from Napoleon today about cover/no cover and the side burner..

They said their equipment is built for all types of Canadian weather and not to worry about anything, including never putting a cover on it. That is why they have the best warranty in the business.

The side burner ceramic block for infra-red can break when subjected to rapid heat changes, such as spilling cold water on it when very hot, but otherwise they last for years without problem..

As he said: " Don't worry about anything. Just use it and enjoy it!"

All questions answered!

Thanks to all who contributed .
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

"Don't worry about anything. Just use it and enjoy it!."
                                An open fire right out the kitchen door is a beautiful thing when you've got a freezer full of steaks. Need a side or a garnish? French fries/onion rings will do the trick.

Our Weber gas grill with three burners lasted more than 30 years! (Rarely covered.)
                                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                                X