Faulty BBQ....suggestions, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
    I not only have no problem with its operation, I like it and the only negative is the very considerable water intrusion.
    Putting the cover on my grill takes about ten seconds, on or off. Not a big deal in my day. lol
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
      It's one month old and you bought it from Rona ...... I doubt if they'll bat an eye if you return it ....Mind you assembling a new barbecue is a pain in the pattootie ..... I always hated putting those things together ......
      Your point is good.

I spoke with the store manager yesterday and he told me he had spoken with his contacts at the manufacturer (Onward Manufacturing /OMC and he committed to doing something next week if the manufacturer continues to ignore its own responsibility under the warranty.

I do not know what he will propose, but you are probably right in the return as an option.
      That could be both good and bad as I do like the device, except for the water inhalation and Lowes/Rona have no more of them anywhere. so I cannot simply exchange it for another like it and I already know they o not have anyting in Weber or Napoleon that is like it.

The old Weber is already gone to a happy home, so I may have to choose something else or, since OMC is already ignoring warranty entirely, just alter the present on.

I thought of applying some 600F rated RTV silicone under the edges of the lid, at sides and front. That would prevent water entry from front and sides, and the same silicone could seal the holes under the thermometer. Then I could cut and bend a flap from an aluminum or steel sheet and fit it on the rear vent to direct water away from the area, and prevent water access there

Doing this might void the warranty, but, since OMC is already ignoring me, and has for almost three weeks, perhaps there really is no warranty anyway.

I have also thought of contacting the senior management in OMC. I found the names of the board of directors on the internet but not their e-mail addresses. I asked the Rona store manager to see if he could get some or all of them for me. Once in hand, I can forward all the unanswered e-mails, along with photos I already took over the past weeks, and prove how very poor their customer service is.

Failing all of that, I could position a garden hose above the BBQ, set it for a constant rate of flow and then make a video showing how great a quantity of water gets into it, and how stupidly fast that happens. (it really is almost like a sieve).....and then post it on youtube.
      Last edited by argonsagas; 09-19-2021, 03:47 PM.
      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I have a sahara 350. It sits out in the summer rain and never has runoff from the sand grease trap.
        I don't cover it.
        Design defect?
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Your point is good.

I spoke with the store manager yesterday and he told me he had spoken with his contacts at the manufacturer (Onward Manufacturing /OMC and he committed to doing something next week if the manufacturer continues to ignore its own responsibility under the warranty.

I do not know what he will propose, but you are probably right in the return as an option.
          That could be both good and bad as I do like the device, except for the water inhalation and Lowes/Rona have no more of them anywhere. so I cannot simply exchange it for another like it and I already know they o not have anyting in Weber or Napoleon that is like it.

The old Weber is already gone to a happy home, so I may have to choose something else or, since OMC is already ignoring warranty entirely, just alter the present on.

I thought of applying some 600F rated RTV silicone under the edges of the lid, at sides and front. That would prevent water entry from front and sides, and the same silicone could seal the holes under the thermometer. Then I could cut and bend a flap from an aluminum or steel sheet and fit it on the rear vent to direct water away from the area, and prevent water access there

Doing this might void the warranty, but, since OMC is already ignoring me, and has for almost three weeks, perhaps there really is no warranty anyway.

I have also thought of contacting the senior management in OMC. I found the names of the board of directors on the internet but not their e-mail addresses. I asked the Rona store manager to see if he could get some or all of them for me. Once in hand, I can forward all the unanswered e-mails, along with photos I already took over the past weeks, and prove how very poor their customer service is.

Failing all of that, I could position a garden hose above the BBQ, set it for a constant rate of flow and then make a video showing how great a quantity of water gets into it, and how stupidly fast that happens. (it really is almost like a sieve).....and then post it on youtube.

Honestly Argon, you are so far off track on this I don't even know what to say.

I worked for a couple of decades in the automotive business, in the quality side of the industry trying to help improve customer satisfaction. Every so often some customer would get all irate about something that was completely off the wall. Such as a beige carpet would show dirt too readily. What do the customers expect from a beige carpet? Buy the black carpet option if you are worried about showing dirt? Some people would complain that the vehicle was too slow. No kidding, it's got a tiny little 4 banger engine which gets great gas mileage...but at the cost of acceleration. You can't have fast and great gas mileage at the same time.

Anyway, customer like you that expect the product to meet some obscure standard, like a grill that can sit out in the rain without a cover and not get water inside, is completely off the wall. Reminds me of guys that return a Christmas tree two weeks after Christmas to Costco for a refund.

Suck it up, buy a cover like 99% of the other people on the planet if you plan to leave the grill out in the weather.

BTW, I had a charbroiler grill that would also leak whenever it was left out in the rain. I blamed myself for being lazy about covering it.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            BTW, I had a charbroiler grill that would also leak whenever it was left out in the rain. I blamed myself for being lazy about covering it.
            +1. It's like complaining to the power company about your porch light always being on when all you need to do is turn the switch off and then insisting they send a service rep to your house to do that. heh

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

My 2 cents. For 30 years I used a gas grill (Weber?) at least a couple of times a week. It had a cover, but I stopped using it after the first year. It sat under (sort of) a little overhang from the kitchen roof. I used it year round, even when there was a foot of snow on the ground. Never had a drop of water in it.

Reminds me - I've yet to be reimbursed by GM for all the speeding tickets I got in my '68 327 Camaro. It wasn't my fault. The car had a mind of it's own.
              Last edited by Rob S.; 09-19-2021, 09:54 PM.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                My 2 cents. For 30 years I used a gas grill (Weber?) at least a couple of times a week. It had a cover, but I stopped using it after the first year. It sat under (sort of) a little overhang from the kitchen roof. I used it year round, even when there was a foot of snow on the ground. Never had a drop of water in it.

Reminds me - I've yet to be reimbursed by GM for all the speeding tickets I got in my '68 327 Camaro. It wasn't my fault. The car had a mind of it's own.
                Thank you, Rob.

Completely dry, regardless of weather, has been my experience with every one of the uncovered BBQs I have had, but over a longer time frame than you, which is why I see absolutely nothing wrong with expecting the latest high end models from the same quality-level manufacturers to perform as well as, or better than, those produced in earlier years..
                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Get some Stainless steel strip & rivet to the edge bent at an angle to divert the rain... Would take less time & effort than all your phone calls etc that are going to go nowhere. The stores can only refund or replace. The manufacturer is not going to give a hoot about your feelings would be my guess...
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just a question, did you buy this assembled or put it together yourself? Sounds to me like something is not where it is supposed to be.
                    1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by bull958 View Post
                      Just a question, did you buy this assembled or put it together yourself? Sounds to me like something is not where it is supposed to be.
                      The store assembled it.

I agree it sounds like something is misaligned, but that would be difficult as there are only the box and the lid, and the lid is attached with roll pins at two pivot points and the mounting holes are part of the cast body.
                      It could not get simpler than that

Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        Get some Stainless steel strip & rivet to the edge bent at an angle to divert the rain... Would take less time & effort than all your phone calls etc that are going to go nowhere. The stores can only refund or replace. The manufacturer is not going to give a hoot about your feelings would be my guess...
                        The store manager and I discussed exactly that just ab hour ago.
                        told him I could high-temp RTV around the lid edges and then add a bent piece of metal across the rear vent to deflect water and prohibit its entry.

He said absolutely not, as he has copies of my e-mails and he is working with the manufacturer now, so, because of this, he suggested they might see any modifications I do as voiding the warranty entirely.

He even offered a free cover, because we are expecting heavy rain again tonight.
                        I dwas really good of him to do that, but I declined as I already have the BBQ covered in plastic tarp.
                        He agrees with me about he usage and safety concerns as I want to be able to use the BBQ rain or shine and have already used a power washer to clean the deck of grease and oil from the last time the grease pan overflowed, just a few days ago.
                        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

The store manager and I discussed exactly that just ab hour ago.
                          told him I could high-temp RTV around the lid edges and then add a bent piece of metal across the rear vent to deflect water and prohibit its entry.

He said absolutely not, as he has copies of my e-mails and he is working with the manufacturer now, so, because of this, he suggested they might see any modifications I do as voiding the warranty entirely.

He even offered a free cover, because we are expecting heavy rain again tonight.
                          I dwas really good of him to do that, but I declined as I already have the BBQ covered in plastic tarp.
                          He agrees with me about he usage and safety concerns as I want to be able to use the BBQ rain or shine and have already used a power washer to clean the deck of grease and oil from the last time the grease pan overflowed, just a few days ago.
                          You don't handle reality well do you?
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                            You don't handle reality well do you?
                            An exercise in silly.

Comment

The solution might be to get rid of the problem. I would return it, as opposed to trying to design around design defects. It's likely to have other design issues too. I use a charcoal Weber kettle grill, and a pit boss pellet grill they are both rock solid performers. I have a larger smoker when I want serious smoke. When you want to relax and cook out it is nice to have equipment that works.
                              1981 GS1100E
                              1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                                It's one month old and you bought it from Rona ...... I doubt if they'll bat an eye if you return it ....Mind you assembling a new barbecue is a pain in the pattootie ..... I always hated putting those things together ......
                                It is now more than two months, but your suggestion is coming out on top.

The store manager just told me he NEVER takes returns on used BBQs, but after he and his department manager both tried repeatedly to deal with Broil King over several weeks and even got hos own head office involved, the only result was zero cooperation from Broil King.

He will make an exception and said I can order something else. Ordering will be necessary as it is end of season and stock is low to nil on many items.

So...I have to choose something different, and then hope he can find one,

Hopefully, I will again have a dependable BBQ that can be used during rain or snow, as all the others were.
                                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                                X