Need carb help - 1985 GS550E pilot screw question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need carb help - 1985 GS550E pilot screw question

I'm in the process of putting life back into a 1985 GS550EF, the one with the 4-cylinder/2-carb setup. The PO said "It runs but not right". Boy what an understatement!

Anyhoo....I'm in the process of putting the carbs back together and on the pilot screws, none of the four have a washer or an o-ring on them. I've searched high and low and cannot find anything that shows the pilot screws on any drawing. It seems like the screws go really deep into the carb body, but maybe thats the way they were designed????

Anyone have any direct experience with these #$%^&* carbs? Anyone know if there is a washer and o-ring required on these pilot screws? I've never seen any carbs without the washer and o-ring on the pilot screws, but I haven't seen them all!

Maybe this infamous carb setup does not use them???? Anyone know for sure? HELP!

Thanks!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Yeah got mine from member Robert barr
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
      Yeah got mine from member Robert barr
      So.....you know for sure that they are suppossed to be there, and are missing?
      Ron
      When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
      1982 GS1100E
      1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

No experience with these carbs but schematic shows just the screw.
        Agree it seems odd.

Shop online for OEM Carburetor parts that fit your 1985 Suzuki GS550EF, search all our OEM Parts or call at 252-758-3084
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          No experience with these carbs but schematic shows just the screw.
          Agree it seems odd.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...b03/carburetor
          Yeah, that's my issue. Cannot find a schematic that shows the pilot screws at all! I'm tempted to just put an o-ring on them and see what it does. I cannot see where that would do any harm???
          By now I'm really quick at installing and removing them! LOL
          Ron
          1982 GS1100E
          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

They should have a washer and o-ring on them.

Comment

Originally posted by simmoto View Post
              They should have a washer and o-ring on them.
              How do you know for sure? Have you had a set of these carbs apart?
              Ron
              1982 GS1100E
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Yes, I've had them apart and I have several sets of them right now (I used to own an 83 GS550E). They should have washer, o-ring, and spring. If a PO messed with them, then they may have left them out.
                Last edited by simmoto; 09-19-2021, 10:18 AM. Reason: i used to own a bike that used these carbs

Comment

Check out this schematic. I don't even see it on the American parts sites.

Suzuki GSX550E(S)(F)(U) 1986 Carburettor - order parts in just a few clicks from Europe’s number 1 genuine spare parts online retailer
                  Last edited by simmoto; 09-19-2021, 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

A GREAT BIG THANKS TO YOU! That's what I needed to know! Can't figure out why the US schematics leave them off???? Guess I'll have to bookmark that page!

Now to find the washers!
                    Ron
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Dunno. EPA thing? Should be able to get the washers from someone's stash or that are still available for other carbs.
                      There's no way these washers are specific to these type of carbs. If you can't find any I'd be willing to part with a set of these carbs that I have.

Comment

Robert Barr used to sell the washers...
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Robert Barr used to sell the washers...
                          Thanks Nessism! Don't know why I didn't think of cycleorings.com for these washers. They are ordered and will be in the mail soon I'm sure!

I can't wait to get these carbs sorted and put a "FOR SALE" sign on this bike!
                          Ron
                          1982 GS1100E
                          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Working...
                          X