rewire bike? What to do next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rewire bike? What to do next

New here. I got a GS650 for free, and had to remove the carbs to try to rebuild. The bike has been sitting for years (garage kept).

In order to remove the carbs I had to unbolt a ton of parts, including the bracket that cradled the fuse box.

Should I try to find a new wiring harness or whats the best next steps here?

Eventually I would like to do a pod conversion (i understand there will be tuning issues), And since everything is dissassembled already and the airbox is out, im wondering if theres anything I can do from here to not repeat steps.

when I got the bike nothing was hooked up so honestly I dont know which wire goes to what anyways.
    Main lady- 2009 Nightster 1200
    Project Lady- 1982 GS650 G

It seems you have enough to do getting the bike running first.

Keep the harness. Get a wiring diagram from here or the shop manual, both here:

Comment

Welcome.

Gorminder already have to the link to BikeCliffs Website. Bookmark it. You’ll use it often. It’s also in my signature.

Another good first read is the top 10 list also linked in my signature.

please create a signature with your bike info in it. And post some pics when you get a chance. We like pictures.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Was any history offered about this garage stored bike?
        Anyways, understand that carb cleaning (not rebuilding really) is important to do properly….if you’d like a decent runner.
        From Basscliffs site, note this link..
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcvicious View Post
          New here. I got a GS650 for free, and had to remove the carbs to try to rebuild. The bike has been sitting for years (garage kept).

In order to remove the carbs I had to unbolt a ton of parts, including the bracket that cradled the fuse box.

Eventually I would like to do a pod conversion (i understand there will be tuning issues), And since everything is dissassembled already and the airbox is out, im wondering if theres anything I can do from here to not repeat steps.

when I got the bike nothing was hooked up so honestly I dont know which wire goes to what anyways.
          A new harnass is near impossible to find.

Why the need for a pod conversion ? These bikes run great in original setup.
          Cheap pods are hardly ever worth the money, K&N and alike are the first 250$ investment.
          A Dynojet kit to get it running well is another 100$ or so.
          Is that worth a handful of hp ? Or is it the looks, sound, other ?

First thing is see what you've got, get it running without investing much.
          If the engine seems sound it may be worth spending more dough on.
          Broken parts in the electrical circuit can be expensive ; new tires and brake rebuild, front fork rebuild,
          new battery, bearings for wheels and triple tree ... small repairs ... it all adds up quickly.
          Not to mention a paint job.

Without knowing what the bike looks like, maintenance/repair history, what your plans are with the bike and
          what you're willing to spend (in time, money, technical learning curve) to get it running properly .... it's very hard
          for us to give you advice on what to do.

Before spending money on it - think about this : you will most likely spend quite some time
          getting the bike to run well and you will probably spend more on it than you will get for it if you
          sell the bike.

If you're still committed, this may very well be the best forum to help you.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
            A new harnass is near impossible to find.

Why the need for a pod conversion ? These bikes run great in original setup.
            Cheap pods are hardly ever worth the money, K&N and alike are the first 250$ investment.
            A Dynojet kit to get it running well is another 100$ or so.
            Is that worth a handful of hp ? Or is it the looks, sound, other ?

First thing is see what you've got, get it running without investing much.
            If the engine seems sound it may be worth spending more dough on.
            Broken parts in the electrical circuit can be expensive ; new tires and brake rebuild, front fork rebuild,
            new battery, bearings for wheels and triple tree ... small repairs ... it all adds up quickly.
            Not to mention a paint job.

Without knowing what the bike looks like, maintenance/repair history, what your plans are with the bike and
            what you're willing to spend (in time, money, technical learning curve) to get it running properly .... it's very hard
            for us to give you advice on what to do.

Before spending money on it - think about this : you will most likely spend quite some time
            getting the bike to run well and you will probably spend more on it than you will get for it if you
            sell the bike.

If you're still committed, this may very well be the best forum to help you.

I have about 20,000 invested in my Sportster 😂 (but I’ve owned it for years). I’m no stranger to dumping money into a bike that would never be worth the value for what I’ve put into it. Does dynojet work with Suzuki’s this old? I tried to look it up on their page but it didn’t have any licenses for the suzuki gs models (I own a power vision and there should be a way to get a license for it to map a second bike). If there’s a way to get Dynojet to work w the GS PLEASE LET ME KNOW! 😃

Comment

You did not mention the exact model/year of your GS but here is an example : https://www.dynojet.com/jet-kit-for-suzuki-gs650/
              Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcvicious View Post
                Does dynojet work with Suzuki’s this old? I tried to look it up on their page but it didn’t have any licenses for the suzuki gs models (I own a power vision and there should be a way to get a license for it to map a second bike). If there’s a way to get Dynojet to work w the GS PLEASE LET ME KNOW! 
                It sounds like the "Dynojet" you are accustomed to is used with fuel-injected bikes, and you have to re-map the fuel curve. The Dynojet product that works with your GS is merely an assortment of jets (and possibly needles) that will increase fuel delivery. If you knew what you were doing, you can get close to the same results by swapping jets yourself, but DJ does include some specially-tapered needles that do seem to be worth the price of admission.

And, back to Rijko's question: why switch to pods? Some will argue that 'it makes it easier to remove the carbs', which I will have to agree with, but the only reason to remove the carbs is to continue to fine-tune the jetting, since you have installed pods. The 650 is a fine little rocket and works very well with the stock airbox. Clean/rebuild the carbs, leave the stock jetting in there, you won't have to remove the carbs for a LONG time. Toss in the fact that it's cheaper and quieter, it quickly becomes a no-brainer.

Comment

Why do pods?

Well you see..... this is my first rebuild (I have help), and I may have gotten super frustrated just trying to remove the damn carbs and almost cut off the manifold (im not sure what that part is called, the plastic sleeve between the carbs and the airbox). Pulling it out WAS a PITA, as Im sure you all know, and if its a modification I want to make in the future (purely for cosmetics), then I dont want to have to redo the work while I have help.

And yes you are absolutely right. I was thinking about the Dynojet for EFI bikes. Didn't realize that Dynojet made a jetting kit.

And a quick update- Threw a new battery in and the engine tried to turn over (didn't mean for that to happen), so at least I know that direct power to the motor is causing a response.

Going to go through the wiring today to see what, if anything, works. WISH ME LUCK.

Comment

Working...
                  X