Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550e year of manufacture

Hi

I have a UK Bike first registered in 1984 but I'd like to know the actual build date as I suspect and hope its much earlier.

Could anyone help? Vin number is GS550E00148xxx

Also I may need to get some sort of certificate of proof of that date, can someone point me to the right place to get this?

(Here in the UK we have a historic vehicle status and it means 40 yr old bikes can be ridden in low emmission zones )

Thanks

1982 GS550Ez, 1980 Yam RD350LC 4L0, 1980 Yam DT175,
    1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
    London UK

L O All, I’ve been away for a while on the XS650 project but just bought a 78’ GS1000E which is very tired and neglected.. I have a few beer tokens saved up so what do you think would be the best upgrades.. ive got a little list already in order of importance. first get it running sweet, so 1st c...

You could try the Suzuki Owners club.
    Start reading halfway down the page.

Last edited by Rijko; 09-19-2021, 03:06 AM.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Looks like the Vin number format changed in 1981 so my GS550E00148xxx must be a 1980 build

1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
      London UK

Comment

That frame number relates to a 1982 model. 17-digit VIN format wasn't universally introduced in 1981. If you post a photo of the bike, members here will help confirm. The 550 design changed quite a lot over the 6 years they were produced. As far as dating letters go, Suzuki Owners Club (as Rijko mentioned), VJMC, or Yamaha RD club (they cover most models with their dating service) can all help.
        1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by ajh View Post
          Hi

I have a UK Bike first registered in 1984 but I'd like to know the actual build date as I suspect and hope its much earlier.

Could anyone help? Vin number is GS550E00148xxx

Also I may need to get some sort of certificate of proof of that date, can someone point me to the right place to get this?

(Here in the UK we have a historic vehicle status and it means 40 yr old bikes can be ridden in low emmission zones )

Thanks
          At some point you may need to be aware of the difference between "year of manufacture" and "Model year".

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

thanks Steve, youre right about the model changes, very confusing especially as mine seems to have acquired various bits from various models But I think it was the last update as it has anti dive forks and latest clocks. Thats handy the RD club does Suzukis too as Im a member
            Cheers
            my gs550e pic1.jpg

1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
            London UK

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              At some point you may need to be aware of the difference between "year of manufacture" and "Model year".
              Thanks wont the vin number be related to manufacture year? I think thats what I need.

1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
              London UK

Comment

The GS550 "E" gets really confusing. Why? Because Suzuki had an "E" year, and an "E" style. The plate on the neck of the frame will tell you the actual year you are looking for. It's hard to find and usually covered with dirt, dust & crud.

Suzuki designated the year that the GS550 was made with a letter -- which is stamped on the frame plate of the bike.

The first year, 1977, was designated with a "B" -- which only appears on the bike's frame, as "GS550B".
                The second year, 1978, the bikes were designated "C", again only appearing on the frame, as "GS550C".
                In 1979, the bikes were designated "N".
                The 1980 bikes were designated "T".

1981 was "X", 1982 was "Z", 1983 was "D", 1984 was "E", 1985 was "F", 1986 was "G", etc.
                Every year had a different letter.

But Suzuki also changed the style of the GS550 over time, and when significant changes were made, an additional letter or letters was added to signify the "style".

For example, in 1979, Suzuki produced the "E" style of the GS550 bike which has cast wheels instead of spokes, and a new disc brake on the rear wheel -- so because of the change in style and the change in year, it is designated "GS550EN" on the frame -- "E" because of the style and "N" because of the year.

The "E"-style bike of 1979 should not be confused with the "E"-year bike of 1984. You can distinguish these by reading the bike's plate.
                Last edited by xkaes; 09-19-2021, 09:01 AM.
                sigpic
                '77 GS550B
                '78 GS550C

Comment

thanks, im not sure we had a plates in the UK but I'll have a good look. But on my vin number stamped into the frame - GS550E00148xxx, Im guessing the E is just the model and doesnt tell me anything?

1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
                  London UK

Comment

The stamping is usually on the right side of the steering neck. The "plate" everyone is referring to is just to the left of that. Not sure if that "plate" was applied in all world markets, though.

If you DO have the plate, it will have the VIN and the year suffix along the bottom, with the actual month and year of production in the upper-right corner.

The point about "model year vs. production year" was made because the 1980 model year started production in August or September of 1979 and went through May or June of 1980.

Comment

Fortunately, the 'E' doesn't cause confusion over here. We had the GSX550 from 83 on. So did you, but for some reason the States continued to call them GS 550. To the OP, yes, you have various bits and pieces exchanged over the years, but your bike started life as a GS550EZ - 1982 model.
                      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Working...
                      X