No announcement yet.

750 Katana Resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May I ask what size and the kind of tires you're using? They look like they would work really well. I need a new pair for my S.
    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
      May I ask what size and the kind of tires you're using? They look like they would work really well. I need a new pair for my S.
      Hi there,

The tires are Shinko SR712 Bias ply Sport Touring tire. The front is a 100/90H19 and the rear is a 110/90H18. Which is the closest to the 4.00H18 fitted OEM, although the tech sheet lists a 120/90H18 as an alternative for E22 West Germany.

The rear rim is a skinny 2.15x18 and usually I would have fitted a 120/80H18 (the widest tire for that rim). The 110/90 is an experiment. Want to see what effect it has on the handling, which is more important to me than the grip and tread that I or the bike will never make use of.

I like the 712s but remember they are only H-rated, and V tires are usually specced for litre plus Suzies. I have them on my 650G and done 10,000km (6,200 mi) and the rear needs replacement. The front still half worn but still has good profile and still stays neutral (enough) when trail braking. RevZilla did a review which is pretty much on point https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...12-tire-review

Rear 130/90H17 on the 650G Katana

Front 100/90H19 on the 650G Katana

Confidence inspiring grip, reasonable wear rate and cheap. What's not to like?
      Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 12-02-2021, 09:38 PM.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
      ​​
      Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Minimal time at the moment, so just nudging things forward by doing small jobs

Sanded back, plastic primer/etch primer, then spray putty rubbed back with a Scotch Brite. Next will be primer filler and rub back for color.

​​
        Darryl from Kiwiland

Comment

Waiting for engine parts to arrive. So thought I'd press on with the panel and paint. The tank is pretty beat up under the filler. It's been drilled and pulled out on one side. I'll be cutting the filler back to steel to make sure there's no rust under the filler. I'll then treat the surface, lay some etch-primer and then refill, shape and undercoat.

Tried to find OEM Blue and White GS1000SN tank decals, but they are as rare as rocking horse droppings with a price to match. So I found a local guy to make some very close replicas. Also some custom ones for the small scoops below the fairing and a small one to test clear coat on. In my minds eye, the white and blue will work in contrast to the Tiger Mica base coat. Guess we'll see.

​​
          Darryl from Kiwiland

Comment

Seasons greetings and Happy New Year. It's been a couple of weeks since I've spent some time on the Kat. I've pushed on with the body work and will start the rebuild of the engine when the paint is drying.

I cut most of the filler out, primed, filled and sanded back the tank to the correct basic shape with the minimum of Bondo. Primer filler needs to be rubbed back and skimmed and puttied in a few places. Have given the fairing a wet sand with 320 grit ready for primer filler. There is some plastic welding in the tail cowl and the side covers to do. I've not plastic welded yet, but I'll let YouTube be my guide. Got to make pins for the side covers to replace the broken ones.

Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 01-04-2022, 01:56 AM.

​​
            Darryl from Kiwiland

Comment

Happy New Year mate

It's all coming together nicely!
              GS850GT

Comment

Seat repaired and recovered. Was missing some foam and had a big hole.

Cut and patched

Shaped

EVA skin

Recovered

​​
                Darryl from Kiwiland

Comment

Talk about determined..!! A real labour of patience and devotion. Good for you Darryl. Great work. Your resourcefulness is commendable. I picked up some really good info from this thread, especially regarding frame material specs. How on earth you managed to uncover that particular nugget I have no idea. But good info to have. Hopefully some final pics of the bike will be coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by KatManDoo View Post
                    Talk about determined..!! A real labour of patience and devotion. Good for you Darryl. Great work. Your resourcefulness is commendable. I picked up some really good info from this thread, especially regarding frame material specs. How on earth you managed to uncover that particular nugget I have no idea. But good info to have. Hopefully some final pics of the bike will be coming soon.
                    Thanks KatManDoo. Still a work in progress, slowed by the New Zealand summer vacations and other distractions. I enjoy doing my bit for 'Kat Rescue', and old school Suzuki preservation in general. Been continuously obsessed with Katanas since I first saw an Eleven parked on the street in 1982. Owned an Kawasaki S3 at the time. Horrible bike, but I'd kill to have it today. Got panel and painting to finish and have all the bits to do the engine, so there will be more posts and many more pics. Stay tuned.

​​
                    Darryl from Kiwiland

Comment

The time consuming bit

Blade putty on the imperfections revealed by the primer filler.

Next is a wet sand with 320, may be another coat of primer filler/wet sand and then it'll be ready for base coat.

Side panels and tail cowl to repair and paint prep. Looking forward to spraying colour.

My first plastic weld

Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 02-05-2022, 02:20 AM.

​​
                      Darryl from Kiwiland

Comment

Managed to make a good pair of side covers out of four wrecked ones. Plastic welding and chemical welding with acetone/ABS slurry to repair the broken studs and screw tabs

Got to the point of diminishing returns on tank and panel prep, so sprayed the first base coat color, Tiger Mica.

It's not show pony perfect, but good enough that I won't look at it and feel regret. Good enough for an occasional ride, which is her intended use

Wet sanded the primer filler with 600. The water sheets on the primer when it's rinsed and gives a good indicator of how ultimately the clear coat will sit. The reflections in the water are what you look at

I'm going to mask off and spray the second color, Black Pearl. Flat back, a coat of clear,.decals and pin strips, followed by two wet coats of clear. Then the engine work begins.

​​
                        Darryl from Kiwiland

Comment

Amazing how good new paint looks, even if it is not the final color. Keep on keeping on.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                            Amazing how good new paint looks, even if it is not the final color. Keep on keeping on.
                            Thanks Larry, the Black Pearl will be on the top of the tank, the front of the fairing, back of the front fender and a stripe across the tail. The Tiger Mica is the main color.

​​
                            Darryl from Kiwiland

Comment

I like that color. Resembles the original Hayabusa.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

My first attempt at painting a second color and masking pin stripes. Actually it's the second time I've spray painted a bike bodywork. A few tiny bleeds but all nowhere they will be obvious.

Black Pearl

I'm tossing up whether to add some white or silver pin stripe tape. Either way I'll spray clear, flat back, apply the decals and then lay wet coats of clear.

Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 03-03-2022, 05:22 AM.

​​
                                Darryl from Kiwiland

Comment

Working...
                                X