No announcement yet.

750 Katana Resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did some research and the 1100EZ inlet cam has the same part number as the 750. The sprockets are different. I thought I might have one in a parts box, and found a match. I also found a matching exhaust cam. Both hare in better condition on the lobes and journals.
    Just need to swap the sprockets.

Thought I could use a spare 1100 rocker arm, but of course the 1100 and 750 differ in valve stem spacing. So I'll have to source some of those...

Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 11-10-2021, 07:41 PM.
    sigpicDarryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana
    1982 GSX750S Katana
    1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

I thought the screw that goes into the top of the nut was stripped, but it was the entire stud spinning. At least the PO left it in there.

Looks like the existence of the torque wrench was unknown to the PO....
      Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 09-19-2021, 07:47 AM.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
      1982 GSX750S Katana
      1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Seems that the torque wrench comment was truer than I'd hoped for. All the other head nuts where so tight I had to use the half meter+ power bar to get them loose, while basically standing on the gearbox. All good until I found two of the 'dry' head nuts had been to rounded probably by being over-torqued with the wrong sized socket. It took tapping in a 9/16" impact socket and and using my gruntiest 1/2" rattle gun. Even then it took a good 20 seconds of hammering to get them to move. The last one came out with the stud attached... I'm going to have to check the remaining studs for necking.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
        1982 GSX750S Katana
        1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

So.... I thought I might measure the squish clearance before the head and barrels go (eventually) to the auto engineer for a skim. So I placed some some solder strips in the front and rear squish areas on top of the piston, put the head back on -as best I could- and turned the crank to squash the solder. It seemed to spin too easily and I noticed the cam chain wasn't moving. Took off the ATU and found this.

Seems the drive pin was replaced with a small wood screw and a load of crappy epoxy.

Looks like the remnants of the pin are still there as a drill doesn't cut it, so I'm thinking it's tool steel, which the wood screw wouldn't be. So out with the diamond burs I used to get a broken ezi-out out of an outboard motor.

I think I might make a pin out of an old drill bit. The slot in the back of the ATU is 4mm. It should be plenty strong enough as the pin isn't subjected to shock loads.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
          1982 GSX750S Katana
          1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Not perfect, but good enough.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
            1982 GSX750S Katana
            1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Squish clearance measured at 1.00 mm exactly. At least the stud will be easy to remove....

This one has obvious necking. I'll have to measure the others. The head had only one locating dowel fitted to position it on the barrels. I guess the tons of tension stopped anything from shifting. I can't tell you how many times I've cursed whoever butchered this bike. Then for the price I really shouldn't complain. I've been looking for evidence that the cases have split. So far no witness marks to suggest that the PO got that far. Hopefully no fresh horrors await.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
              1982 GSX750S Katana
              1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Engine torqued into place. Next step correcting the steering head twist. Had to hammer the front engine mounting plates flat as they were bent. Was really pleased that all the engine mounts aligned which means my internal box jig worked as intended

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                1982 GSX750S Katana
                1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Impressive job. Thanks for sharing.

Keep going...
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Jeez, a lesser man would've found another example to restore. Some serious knowledge on display here...
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

And thank you for posting good, clear, big photos. Many don’t take the little bit of extra time to set up an account on a pic hosting site that they use to link the photos. It is very much appreciated.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Lockdown has meant I couldn't get some cones made up for the steering head so I had to improvise. The pitted fork stanchion was almost a perfect fit through the steering head but it fouled the internal lug of the steering lock. I don't have key for it, so I cut back with a half round hand file. I left the bearing races in to spread the force to the steering head. If they got damaged, they're easy to replace. Put an extension pipe on the tube and started the untwisting.

The amount of deflection required made the dial gauge redundant. So I went incremental, doing a little more deflection each time, putting the forks back on and checking the front axle centre spot against the centreline reference marks on the frame/rear wheel. And a after an hour or two, great success!

Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 09-21-2021, 05:19 PM.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                        1982 GSX750S Katana
                        1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Wow, very impressive work, well done! The PO really did a number on that engine!
                          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Excellent stuff.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Final confirmation of alignment. Checked the rake measured at just under 28° while sitting on the rims. So very close to the 28.5° GSX750S spec.

Some of the factory welding on the frame was really bad. Either the frame welder had a hang-over or they were a beginner. Holes aplenty. The arc welder was handy, and setting up the MIG seemed an unnecessary hassle. Not perfect, but better than what was there.

Loose paint and surface rust removed prior to rust treatment and etch priming.

Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 09-23-2021, 01:30 AM.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                              1982 GSX750S Katana
                              1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Frame finished in silver. Tyres ordered. Next step, rolling chassis assembly.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                                1982 GSX750S Katana
                                1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Working...
                                X