750 Katana Resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
    If you're not a slave to originality, fit a pair of MP08 coils from a Honda CBr1000, Glodwing, etc. Dirt cheap, common as muck and dead reliable.
    They also have a dead handy feature of having easily replaceable leads.
    Thanks Dave. No this one isn't going to be period perfect. So I'm not too worried about non-OEM bits and bobs.

Carrying on with small things when I get time. Just modified the rear indicator brackets to carry some LED units. Discovered that the cushion spacers for the electrical component mounting plate had gone awol, so made some up out of panel steel. Currently refitting the wiring loom which I've rewrapped in cloth tape. I'll snap some pics of the progress on the roller tomorrow.

sigpicDarryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana
    1982 GSX750S Katana
    1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Very impressive work, especially the frame straightening. I worked in a truck coachworks and my main work was straightening truck chassis after an accident. Your doing great and waiting on next instalment.
      Dennis.
      My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post
        Caliper piston kit and headlight arrived (finally). Fitte

The headlight doesn't have a fitting for the park light, but the LED indicators that I have for this bike have running lights, so I'll wire these to the park light out put.

This is an E4 headlight approved for Holland, the dip will be the wrong way, Your original headlight glass is correct as there is no arrow this means it's for driving on the left. I'm pretty sure that it's the glass diffusing that determines where the beam focuses. If an E45, E47, E11 (Or any other Left side driving countries) can't be sourced then maybe swap the glass?
        I've just gone through this with my 1000 dirt bike. even in UK trying to get a correct E11 headlight for a bike is a mission.

Here, this might help...

HELLA headlamp codes. Decoding the combinations
        Last edited by tatu; 11-09-2021, 06:18 PM.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

The old headlamp is flat-dip, for the world market. Swings and roundabouts, but on a decent headlamp design it works well.
          Unfortunately, many of them weren't very good.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks Guys. Below is from the New Zealand vehicle standards "approved lighting" as per the NZ Transport Agency (Govt).

For whatever reason E4 appears to be compliant in NZ and possibly Australia, which is where the headlight was supplied from.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
            1982 GSX750S Katana
            1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

A further bit of research and it seems the E = meets ECE approvals process and the Country code is for the country that granted the approval. As the ECE regulations are a standard, if one country certifies a particular light, it is deemed compliant in all other counties that use the ECE codes. Apparently the other numbers on the lens refer to the particular ECE standards that govern LH vs RH configurations, illumination patterns and all that jazz.

Is E-mark and e-mark testing or CE mark testing required for electronic and electrical automotive products. Standards for after-market automotive products?

1982 GSX1100S Katana
              1982 GSX750S Katana
              1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

So... trying to decipher the codes using https://www.hella.co.nz/en/about-us/...-combinations/

• HC/R = Halogen Main and/or dipped
                • 00 = ECE regulation amendment
                • → Single ended arrow = For Left Hand Traffic
                • Circled E4 = Approved in The Netherlands for use by all countries adhering to UNECE standards which includes E48 New Zealand.
                • 11960 = ??

So all good for application.
                Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 11-10-2021, 03:45 AM.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                1982 GSX750S Katana
                1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Thanks Guys. Below is from the New Zealand vehicle standards "approved lighting" as per the NZ Transport Agency (Govt).

For whatever reason E4 appears to be compliant in NZ and possibly Australia, which is where the headlight was supplied from.
                  Interesting and confusing, over the years I've replaced a few of the E4 in UK. This might be the reason as Gorminder says. The last one on my 1000 dirt bike was also an ancient E4 that came on the bike (bought as a breaker because it was so horrible) I can't remember which way it dipped now, the chrome had lifted badly is why I changed it out and really had to hunt to find the correct E11.

PB101717.jpg
                  sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

So... trying to decipher the codes using https://www.hella.co.nz/en/about-us/...-combinations/

• HC/R = Halogen Main and/or dipped
                    • 00 = ECE regulation amendment
                    • → Single ended arrow = For Left Hand Traffic
                    • Circled E4 = Approved in The Netherlands for use by all countries adhering to UNECE standards which includes E48 New Zealand.
                    • 11960 = ??

So all good for application.
                    Good news, I like your clear look headlight, it looks much better than the one on my Katana. Also good news because the clear looking halogen one on my DR200 also an E4 that is on it's way to UK is probably the best headlight I've ever had on a bike.
                    As an aside I used one of those cheapo ebay LED lights on my CRF (who's headlight was completely naff) and the light those things chuck out is amazing
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                      Very impressive work, especially the frame straightening. I worked in a truck coachworks and my main work was straightening truck chassis after an accident. Your doing great and waiting on next instalment.
                      Dennis.
                      Thanks Dennis. New Zealand, or at least Auckland is coming out of lockdown, so I'm back at work and have less quality time in the garage. Got some brake fittings on the way to get everything connected. I want to get both systems working so they come off the list and I can feel the rolling chassis is more or less finished with all the wiring in place, tested and working. Then I'll turn my attention to the engine and bodywork. I've decided I'm going to paint the engine black and the body work Tiger Mica with blue and white detailing. But that could change.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                      1982 GSX750S Katana
                      1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                        1982 GSX750S Katana
                        1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Brakes bits finally arrived and so did a screen or two. Wiring back on the frame and waiting for the coils to arrive

Apparently the screens are ABS, and seem very sturdy. Don't know about scratch resistance yet. Time will tell.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                          1982 GSX750S Katana
                          1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Just waiting on the rear brake reservoir. Everything else tightened up. Frame rails protected. Engine next.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                            1982 GSX750S Katana
                            1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Lots of technical work and pics. You're very gifted in this rebuild. Thank you.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                                Lots of technical work and pics. You're very gifted in this rebuild. Thank you.

Ed

Thanks for your kind words, Ed. Appreciated. Much of the learning is in the doing and hopefully everyday is a learning day.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                                1982 GSX750S Katana
                                1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Working...
                                X