No announcement yet.

750 Katana Resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is beautiful work on the paint job!

Great work on everything else too.

Thanks for documenting your build.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
      That is beautiful work on the paint job!

Great work on everything else too.

Thanks for documenting your build.

Ed

Thanks Ed, for your kind words. Been a slow process as I'm 'time poor', but finishing the body work will be a real milestone. Bodywork, electrical and rolling chassis will be complete, and only engine and exhaust remain to do. Painting is rewarding because all the prep work finally begins to bear fruit and you see results. I've decided that I will do a complete tear down of the gearbox as the bike has had a very hard life and I'd kick myself if I got everything buttoned up and it jumps out of gear, or worse. Of course I'll be documenting that process too.
      sigpicDarryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana
      1982 GSX750S Katana
      1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

The paint job is looking real nice. Out of curiosity, may I ask what your use of flat black will be before the decals and the addition of clear coats? If waiting more then 24 hrs. between base coats and clear, you might consider scuffing the base coats lightly with some 600 just to be on the safe side. Looking forward to the finished project.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
          The paint job is looking real nice. Out of curiosity, may I ask what your use of flat black will be before the decals and the addition of clear coats? If waiting more then 24 hrs. between base coats and clear, you might consider scuffing the base coats lightly with some 600 just to be on the safe side. Looking forward to the finished project.
          Hi there, and thanks. I'll be 'flatting back', so just using a fine scotchbrite to take of any nibs and dust that has fallen onto the colour prior to applying clear. And to key in the clear, as you suggest. So no "flat black"

1982 GSX1100S Katana
          1982 GSX750S Katana
          1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post
            Hi there, and thanks. I'll be 'flatting back', so just using a fine scotchbrite to take of any nibs and dust that has fallen onto the colour prior to applying clear. And to key in the clear, as you suggest. So no "flat black"
            Ohhhhh..duh, Larry. Flat "back"..ha ha..I guess I should pay closer attention to what I'm reading.
            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Ok... white pinstripe, red pinstripe or no pinstripe? Each works with other colours on the bike. So what are you thoughts?

1982 GSX1100S Katana
              1982 GSX750S Katana
              1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Just the gold and black for me.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I'm w/ Steve. Sometime you gotta know when to stop. You asked for opinions, that's mine.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I kinda like the white, or none. Not a huge fan of the red, but it certainly doesn't look bad.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I like the added RED stripe. It really catches the eye.
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. I've decided that I'm going to do a light clear coat (flat back), apply the decals, sit the tank and panels on the chassis and then make a decision on red white or none. I'll coat over everything with a couple more coats of clear.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                        1982 GSX750S Katana
                        1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

I like two tones...three tones...not so much.

Glad you're taking the constructive criticism...I'm sure you kinda figured what people would say.

I'm sure we all appreciate what you're doing so THANKS!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Decision made

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                            1982 GSX750S Katana
                            1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

That's looking very sharp! I like the red accent.
                              GS850GT

Comment

Two coats of clear. Ready for decals then another two final coats of clear.
                                Flatting back the base coat was a mistake. It knocked off the mica and metallics in the paint, so I masked up and sprayed another 2x coats of base and then put on the clear coat.

The Black Pearl has a metallic flake that matches the Tiger Mica, which was the effect I was hoping for.
                                Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 03-11-2022, 11:17 PM.

1982 GSX1100S Katana
                                1982 GSX750S Katana
                                1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Working...
                                X