Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy with 2 GS’s from Walla Walla Wa.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy with 2 GS’s from Walla Walla Wa.

Hi I’m new here and have been slowly but surely been modifying/ restoring a 1981 GS1000G and a 1981 GSX1100 . The 1000 is close to being finished (I made some minor mods on it) solo seat, shortened the frame a little, small front fairing, Led lights, clip ons. But mostly mechanical things like caliper rebuild, wiring cleanup, and my very first 4 carb rack rebuild that turned out well. Also some 80s Showa shocks in the back.... My gsx1100 I just got, and it’s going to need a carb rebuild and a clutch. Will probably wait til spring for that work as the winters here are pretty cold. I will rebuild the carbs indoors tho. So I’ll post a few pics of both . And will probably ask lots of questions. Thanks for having me! I learn more every day.
    Last edited by RickLee; 09-19-2021, 11:51 AM.

D96B2635-2013-41FE-92B0-420879718302.jpgHere is my 1981 GS1000G. As you can see it has Wes Cooley colors, a shorter frame in the back end, and a GS550 fender in front. A small fairing with LEDs. Odds and ends. I started with a mess and ended up with a fun bike.

Comment

F4EAD684-B0C4-4932-BC44-182FBC674F25.jpgHere is my new project. 1981 GSX1100 . I know it needs a clutch and a carb rebuild but it’s running!

Comment

Welcome.

The pics show up so small it’s hard to see the nice work you’ve done. Pics on this site work best when they’re stored on a pic hosting website like Imgur. Copy the BBCode of of the image and paste it in your post here. That’s the cliffs notes version. A more thorough explanation is linked in my signature.

You can also create a signature with your bikes in it. That’ll help you not have to remember to write that info when you post, and help us by not having to ask. Though since you have a 8v shaftie and a 16v chain bike, you may have you clarify that info anyway. Go to Settings at the top right of any page, you’ll figure out the rest.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome Rick...form Rick
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Just a bunch of Richards in this thread so far.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Welcome. Tidy looking job.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks guys.... I’ll try to get some better pics up soon. In the meantime ... so far my biggest problem with both bikes.... Petcocks petcocks petcocks . So I found a brand new real Suzuki petcock for the 1000 for 90.00. Problem solved on that one. Also when I bought the 1000 the brake pedal was rust frozen SOLID! It took well over 2 hours to remove it and I cleaned it with fine sandpaper and now grease it regularly. When these freeze they really freeze. Whoever owned it before me sawed off the rear peg and exhaust hangers completely. So since it’s a solo seater and I won’t be riding anyone on the back I made up some simple exhaust hangers. I noticed in your “top 10 newbie mistakes” post the problem with pods and too much air... very true. I will be putting back my stock air box with the nice chrome sidies. As you can probably tell I lowere the bike about 2 inches front and rear. It actually seems to handle better than before. At least the handling feels much more responsive and grounded if you know what I mean. Anyway. Is there a “builds” thread here for all? Thanks again! And is anyone else in walla walla or tri cities area?

Comment

Go to the top left of any page, click on Forum. That will take you to a list of all the sub-forums. Scroll down and you’ll find a Projects/Rebuilds forum. You could start a new thread in there.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Welcome to the madhouse
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Welcome to dee CLOOOOOB!!!

I too have carbs to clean -- and facing an impending cool down for the Winter months. They can get even nastier on this side of the Rockies.

MAKE SURE you have adequate ventilation, my friend -- and report your progress.
                      sigpic
                      '77 GS550B
                      '78 GS550C

Comment

Working...
                      X