Tapered steering bearings for 1979 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tapered steering bearings for 1979 GS750

I’m considering converting to tapered steering bearings.. I noticed in the instructions that “pre 1979” Suzukis need the steering stem modified to accept the tapered bearings. Does “pre-1979” mean that the steering stems found on 1979 models don’t need to be modified? I do see the steering stems part numbers changed for each model year of the 8 valve GS750 so I guess it’s possible that it doesn’t need modification. I’m really curious if anyone has any firsthand experience regarding this on a 1979 model.

Matt
    1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
    1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

It possible that I have a 1978 Triple tree in a box as well as a 1983 Triple tree in a box that you can compare with if you like...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by mattd1205 View Post
      I’m considering converting to tapered steering bearings.. I noticed in the instructions that “pre 1979” Suzukis need the steering stem modified to accept the tapered bearings. Does “pre-1979” mean that the steering stems found on 1979 models don’t need to be modified? I do see the steering stems part numbers changed for each model year of the 8 valve GS750 so I guess it’s possible that it doesn’t need modification. I’m really curious if anyone has any firsthand experience regarding this on a 1979 model.

Matt
      Oof, sorry to necro a thread but I happen to have experience with this exact scenario since I bought an All Balls kit for my 78 GS400 and was worried about the same issue.

Here's a link to the PDF for the kit I bought which sounds very similar to what you're looking at, it lists the clearances you need. All I did was check the clearance between the threads and the taper in the fork and compare it to what they have listed under the modified stem. My stem was almost dead on for what they were asking for so I didn't need to modify anything. The bearings slipped right on and everything bolted up fine, the hardest part was getting that bottom race off and putting the new bottom bearing on. I ended up grabbing a section of steel pipe that was the right diameter to tap the middle of the bearing without damaging the cage. Worked great, but took some patience.

I'm assuming there is some model out there that needs to be modified but even the reviews for the kit don't seem to mention anyone needing to do it.
      $100 1978 GS400 Rebuild (Outdated thread, new one soon!).
      - Indicator light diode mod
      - LED underglow kit
      - Aftermarket LED headlight bucket
      - Hex head engine case bolt kit
      - SH775A Reg/Rec upgrade
      - Dynatek Dyna S ignition
      - All Balls taper bearing steering stem mod
      - Dynatek 5ohm ignition coils and NGK caps
      - Custom cafe seat

Comment

I modified my ‘78 750 and yes, it needed it. Without the mod the bearings will not seat and the steering head is unstable.

On checking the parts fiche steering stem of various models there's a variety of part numbers...
        Last edited by allojohn; 10-11-2021, 11:37 AM.
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

From what I've seen, the race is press fit in to the steering stem and you can knock it out to accept new bearings. Is this the kit you're looking at:

1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
            From what I've seen, the race is press fit in to the steering stem and you can knock it out to accept new bearings. Is this the kit you're looking at:

https://www.allballsracing.com/steering/99-3515-5.html
            Yeah this is the kit I used, but the one for the 400. You knock out old races from stem and fork tube and put the ones from the kit on. It's not too bad but there's definitely some tricks to it that will make it easier. I watched a few youtube videos before I did mine because it's a pretty popular mod and the process is pretty much identical on any bike so even if you're watching someone do it on a CB or something it'll be 99% the same.

I had zero issues with my kit and while I never even bothered with the loose or caged balls I can't imagine they're better.

Just don't forget the pack the every loving crap out of them with grease before you install.
            $100 1978 GS400 Rebuild (Outdated thread, new one soon!).
            - Indicator light diode mod
            - LED underglow kit
            - Aftermarket LED headlight bucket
            - Hex head engine case bolt kit
            - SH775A Reg/Rec upgrade
            - Dynatek Dyna S ignition
            - All Balls taper bearing steering stem mod
            - Dynatek 5ohm ignition coils and NGK caps
            - Custom cafe seat

Comment

I disassembled my friends steering column to regrease some partially seized or at least dragging ball bearings. I didn't realize they didn't have a cage and ended up spending half an hour trying to find the one I dropped! Made a huge difference once back together though.

Could you feel a difference with the roller bearings?
              1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
              1977 GS550
              1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
              X