Rear brake hanging up --- help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brake hanging up --- help

1980 GS750E. Rear brake was working fine then the bike sat for about a month. Friday got it out and rear pedal very stiff, you could ride it but pedal would stick down and have to move up with my foot. The caliper is not sticking, releases as soon as I physically move the brake pedal up. Went ahead and flushed all the fluid (did this a couple of months ago) just to see if anything changed, it didn't.

I could use some direction, maybe rear master is shot??

The frame hole that the brake pedal shaft goes thru gets really grungy. Take note of the pedal split position before removal and position of the return spring. Check condition of return spring. Replace if broken. Then take it all apart and clean then grease the shaft.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Great, thanks! Do you know if the shaft that is pushed up from the bottom is part of the m/c or if I take out the brake pedal can I expect it to fall out

Comment

Not sure. As my rear brake is a drum. Parts diagram on partshark.com or other sites may give a clue or wait for someone else to chime in. And I’m recommending this as a first step because it’s a strong possibility and because it doesn’t cost anything. Problem could very well be in the MC , brake line, or caliper.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yes, the shaft coming down out of the master cylinder and connects to the shaft going to the rear brake pedal is part of the master cylinder. I agree with Rich, take a look at the pedal connection and make sure the spring is still attached then clean it up
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Spray everything with PB Blaster and work it. If that doesn't work something's wrong somewhere.
            2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
            82 gs1100L probably the next project
            1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
            1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Working...
            X