X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porsche....there is no substitute!

Wow

Porsche 928 From ‘Risky Business’ Sold For Way More Than We Expected

It now holds the world record auction sale of any Porsche 928 from any year.

Last edited by trevor; 09-20-2021, 10:11 PM.
    No signature

I saw that as it happened, and couldn't believe it

Local car guy Keith Martin of Sports Car Marketplace just sold his well sorted 928 for $47,000

That Tom Cruise DNA must be worth a lot
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Well, that's madness. For only eight times that, they could have had a 917 ...
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Wow!

Talk about "disposable income!"

That's INSANE!!!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I've always loved the 928. Front engine, liquid cooled V8, manual shift, absolutely gorgeous glass and metal work. Very reasonably priced, and endorsed by Tony (and Elvira) Montana.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I would rather have a 1932 Buick sedan.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              I would rather have a 1932 Buick sedan.
              I already have what I'd rather have....LOL...
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

To me, the only truly desirable Porsches have the engine behind the driver.

That said, I drove a 928S4 once-and it was a helluva machine; but there's a reason they, much like Jag XJSs, were considered as the "Camaros" of their marques.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Two greasy sons of a bigshot politico-lawyer had one in uni.
                  They sold stolen exam booklets out of it.

Well sir it is a 928/boxter laughs for all the bottom feeders seeking attention by struggling to own the bottom rung offering of a pretentious brand.

Know a like minded jackass who was puffed up about the high mileage ugly Mercedes-Benz wagon willed to him by his moronic sire.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                    I already have what I'd rather have....LOL...

No, you can't have your Edsel back. lol
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

The Porsche 928's resale value dropped off a cliff about 5 years after they were introduced. I remember a lot of owners panic selling back then. They were great cars, it is rare to see a clean example now. I bought a late 80's 928 S4 in the early 90's. It as a theft recovery, I bought it to fix and sell. I wound up keeping it for almost two years, very classy fairly quick car at that time.
                      1981 GS1100E
                      1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

They were commonly plagued with electrical issues.
                        Just watch the old Top Gear V8 South America special.
                        That 928 did all sorts of crazy electrical stuff
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Though it was not a sweeping issue, the cylinder liners were also occasionally a sort of woe. To be honest, Porsche may well make the best ICE supercar overall, but all the electronics necessary these days would have me opting for a fully electric model-if I weren't madly in love with the 70's 911 models. The future is here, but I'm more likely to be able to afford the air-cooled past than an electric present.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

The fuse box is in the passenger footwell. They generally get wet & the problems start from there....
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                              The fuse box is in the passenger footwell. They generally get wet & the problems start from there....
                              Toyota Paseo had a computer under drivers seat without hermetic seals.
                              Guy at work had one salt and winter messed it up nicely.

There was a electronics guy with a god level cert. In microsoldering who salvaged it.

Honda puts fuses in a sealed box. Years ago in 1989 I was waiting in line for the Argentia ferry to Cape Breton and a nice very old couple from NY. Were there in their Saab. Old guy was proud of the car and showed off its features which by golly included all the fuses under the hood in a sealed box.

No single engineer *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$s things up it takes a committee of experienced folks to make a thoughtless brand trashing decision.

My truck has a damned floppy plastic cover on the fender unsealed just where salt water can hit the headers and create a salt saturated steam.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X