Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning old member. Sporting a 1982 GS1100GK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning old member. Sporting a 1982 GS1100GK.

Hello everyone,
    My name is Jon and I was a TGSR member back in the late 90's early 2000's and became inactive over the years. I have a 1982 GS1100GK that is one heck of nice bike, but it is needing some engine work and I'm having a heck of time finding anyone who is willing to work on it, (southwest Ohio area). It runs and rides just fine but over time a noise has developed in the engine and I am reluctant to ride it without it being check out first. I also ride and 1982 G750E and a 1996 BMW R1100RT, but the GK is still my favorite ride. It is just one comfortable bike!

Welcome back.. From the post it seems you're more of a rider than mechanic. My opinion the old 2v GS engines rarely have noises. GS clutches are known for getting loose & making noises. Clutch is a lot easier to check than inside the eng. May be easier to find someone to check it out.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome back. If the sound is from the top end it may be cam walk, an annoying but harmless thing.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Jon, Welcome back to GSR.
        THere are a few members in southern Ohio. Some south central Ohio.

Describe the engine sound better.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yep, plenty of educated ears thereabouts; I bet you could arrange a small listening party.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            Yep, plenty of educated ears thereabouts; I bet you could arrange a small listening party.
            Anyone know what has happened to member Steve? Have not seen him post in a very long time. Hope nothing serious has happened to him.
            1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
              Anyone know what has happened to member Steve? Have not seen him post in a very long time. Hope nothing serious has happened to him.
              Ben, yep , he went quiet about a year ago. We saw him at Brown County Rally in June this summer.
              Is a thread somewhere; title something like "Anyone hear from Steve?"

Jon, Steve is in Dayton area, as are a couple other GSR members.
              A couple others are in Cinci area.

Jon, Maybe describe the sound better.
              Clicking? Sharp knocking? dull thumping? rattling?
              Regular repeated? random?
              When do you hear it more? at idle? Just off idle? When increading RPMS? Decreasing? Under load accelerating? Under decelartion?
              Last edited by Redman; 09-28-2021, 08:16 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Point of confusion:
                You said southwest Ohio. (so I mention Dayton and Cinci)
                Now I see Bainbridge OH is near Cleveland, east of Cleveland. Hum.... Close to Cleveland... and about an hour from Youngstown.

Comment

Working...
                X