No announcement yet.

1980 GS1100E Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great work. Nice to see another 11 being given the love.
    sigpicDarryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana
    1982 GSX750S Katana
    1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Nice work!
      You've got a brand new bike there.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Nice work indeed. Thanks for posting all the good pictures. And also, welcome to the site.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

In case anyone cares, I found these two items and a few scrap pieces of lumber to be useful for building an affordable rolling build stand. I had four ratchet straps. Also made sure to secure the jack to the dolly with a couple of brackets.

Amazon.com: Extreme Max 5001.5044 1000 lbs. Motorcycle Scissors Jack - Wide : Automotive Found this on sale for about $70.
          Milwaukee 1000-lb 4-Wheel Wood Dolly in the Hand Trucks & Dollies department at Lowes.com Lowes, $24.

This is sturdy enough for me to actual sit on the bike...well, at least once. Perfect for rolling, spinning, shoving into a corner when not in use.

stand.JPG
          GS1100ET

Comment

Nice work. Well Done. Been there too. Very exciting when everything goes back together.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Man, you make it look so easy! Well done OP
              Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
              Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Off the stand, new exhaust.
                New V&H sm.jpg
                GS1100ET

Comment

Nicely done. Everything turned out great. Hows the first start

Comment

Originally posted by craz1 View Post
                    Nicely done. Everything turned out great. Hows the first start
                    Thank you.

Well, after some fiddling, I managed to achieve a nice idle, but am experiencing loud pops when applying any throttle. Number 4 cylinder is running (not running) cold. Since the weather has turned cold, I haven’t dug into the issue. The number 4 plug wire is pretty chewed up, so I plan to replace the coils and wires with a newer pair of Honda MP08s that I have. Haven’t checked to see if the chewed up wire is actually causing a lack of spark or not. I’m using all new plugs. Need to sort it out and then balance the carbs.
                    GS1100ET

Comment

Its always fun to correct the small problems. I saw you rebuilt the carbs. might want to look at the diaphragm on #4. By the looks of your shop (very well organized and clean) I would expect you to figure it out. Nice work on everything. My last build was a CB550, bike ran good for about 35 miles and started to lose power. Turned out the REG/RECT I put on was only a rectifier and being the Honda has an excited field which was not connected I lost battery pretty quick. Got that corrected and again it started to lose power like running out of gas. Opened the gas cap and it started, found a small piece of felt plugging the vent.

Good luck with your search.

Comment

You do nice work. She looks beautiful. I wish that I had the time and space.
                        Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
                        2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                        1997 Honda 250 Rebel
                        1984 Honda Nighthawk S CB700SC
                        1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

Looks great! I like the dolly/cart idea, I think I will copy it.

I'm about an hour east of you in Mundy Twp. Would love to meet up this spring and check out the bike!

Also, what's under the car cover????
                          - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                          - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Your bike looks great. Good job!

Be sure to retorque the cylinder head nuts after a few heat cycles. I used Athena gaskets, with a green base gasket, one time, but the head nut torque kept falling off each time I checked. After about the third retorque I noticed the base gasket extruding out between the barrel and the case. Mind you, this was about 10 years ago, so hopefully, the gaskets have been improved since then.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Beautiful GS, for sure. May I ask what's hidden under the blue car cover..? Curious motorheads need to know..
                              1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

This could be a contest! I'll go first - RX7?

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                                Beautiful GS, for sure. May I ask what's hidden under the blue car cover..? Curious motorheads need to know..
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X