1980 GS1100E Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
    This could be a contest! I'll go first - RX7?
    How about an Opel GT?
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
      This could be a contest! I'll go first - RX7?
      Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      How about an Opel GT?
      I've owned both!
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by craz1 View Post
        Its always fun to correct the small problems. I saw you rebuilt the carbs. might want to look at the diaphragm on #4. By the looks of your shop (very well organized and clean) I would expect you to figure it out. Nice work on everything. My last build was a CB550, bike ran good for about 35 miles and started to lose power. Turned out the REG/RECT I put on was only a rectifier and being the Honda has an excited field which was not connected I lost battery pretty quick. Got that corrected and again it started to lose power like running out of gas. Opened the gas cap and it started, found a small piece of felt plugging the vent.

Good luck with your search.
        Only a couple of loose ends to resolve/finish. Getting close. I'll keep the diaphragm in mind...all 4 looked fine, albeit old, when reassembling. Thanks.
        GS1100ET

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Your bike looks great. Good job!

Be sure to retorque the cylinder head nuts after a few heat cycles. I used Athena gaskets, with a green base gasket, one time, but the head nut torque kept falling off each time I checked. After about the third retorque I noticed the base gasket extruding out between the barrel and the case. Mind you, this was about 10 years ago, so hopefully, the gaskets have been improved since then.

Thanks for the advice!
          GS1100ET

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            I've owned both!
            To those who've asked, under the cover is an '84 RX-7 GSL. Rock solid and rust-free in all of the typical trouble spots. I got out of the RX-7 game several years ago, then I happened across this one a couple of years ago and couldn't pass it up, based on it being rust-free. Need to rebuild the engine which smokes a little much and refresh/upgrade the suspension. Debating whether to repaint it since the PO painted it a solid black, but it needs some cosmetic corrections and I'd prefer it to be the original Brilliant Black metallic. Gray interior. This car is a summer of '23 project - have to get the bike and another project car, a '40 Buick coupe, up to snuff, this summer. Slowly putting together an eclectic collection.
            GS1100ET

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GZ View Post
              You do nice work. She looks beautiful. I wish that I had the time and space.
              Thank you. I wish I had more space and my wife wishes that I'd use less of the space that we have. She has to shoehorn her SUV into the garage and I hear about it fairly often. I'm also in the doghouse because I spent much of the summer focused on the bike and car, instead of working on house projects and other honey-do tasks.
              GS1100ET

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                I'm about an hour east of you in Mundy Twp. Would love to meet up this spring and check out the bike!
                Yes, looks like exactly 1 hour away. I might be up for that, although I'd been wondering how much time I might actually have to ride this summer. Still need to sort out lost title replacement, registration, etc. and dial it in so that I trust taking it any significant distance. Maybe it won't take as long as I'm imagining. We'll see how it goes and I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
                GS1100ET

Comment

Originally posted by XLNDRVR View Post
                  To those who've asked, under the cover is an '84 RX-7 GSL. Rock solid and rust-free in all of the typical trouble spots. I got out of the RX-7 game several years ago, then I happened across this one a couple of years ago and couldn't pass it up, based on it being rust-free. Need to rebuild the engine which smokes a little much and refresh/upgrade the suspension. Debating whether to repaint it since the PO painted it a solid black, but it needs some cosmetic corrections and I'd prefer it to be the original Brilliant Black metallic. Gray interior. This car is a summer of '23 project - have to get the bike and another project car, a '40 Buick coupe, up to snuff, this summer. Slowly putting together an eclectic collection.
                  I thought it had the RX-7 front nose shape.
                  Oh wow, another Buick guy? I love Buicks! The 40 coupes are great looking automobiles. My dad and I have a few '59s.

Originally posted by XLNDRVR View Post
                  Yes, looks like exactly 1 hour away. I might be up for that, although I'd been wondering how much time I might actually have to ride this summer. Still need to sort out lost title replacement, registration, etc. and dial it in so that I trust taking it any significant distance. Maybe it won't take as long as I'm imagining. We'll see how it goes and I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
                  Sounds good, let me know how it goes. I wouldn't be opposed to riding out to you, I finally got my 83 850 road trip worthy and have been looking for an excuse to spend a day on it. Riding out west would satisfy that desire.
                  - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                  - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Well, I finally found the time to sort out the carb issue that I posted about in post 24 and was able to take the bike for a test spin. I found that a carb air circuit (see pic) was plugged. Had to physically clean it out. Now it runs like top!

I really only have a few items to address for now: balance the carbs, swap out the LARGE dash for a simple round combo analog RPM/digital speedo gage, and install a round headlight in place of the square light and shroud. Personal preferences. Have all of the parts, need to tackle the wiring, next.

Problem circuit...
                    Bad carb.jpg

Last edited by XLNDRVR; 06-03-2022, 09:04 AM.
                    GS1100ET

Comment

Well, I'm calling it done enough for now.

Finished the cluster and headlight conversion. Made jumper harnesses and didn't cut one stock wire, so its easily reversible, if needed.

Using the gear indicator for an oil pressure dummy light since we have no stock gear indicator and this gauge has no oil pressure light.

Headlight assembly is from a 650. Initially, I started piecing together the larger GS1100 train headlight to use, but those parts or a whole unit are pricey and hard to find.

One little irritation is that I cannot find a new SUZUKI emblem for the handlebar clamp plate.

Going to buy helmet, jacket, and gloves this afternoon!

combo.jpg

Last edited by XLNDRVR; 06-13-2022, 08:29 PM.
                      GS1100ET

Comment

Working...
                      X