Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this common prioblem with charging systems..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this common prioblem with charging systems..

Been working on a 85 GS 1150 It charges 14.6-.8 at idle then when revving the engine to approx 4500 r.p.m's it drops to about 13.8 or so. Over a volt loss....I've cleaned all connections, grounds etc.Could just high resistance in these old wires cause the problem.I searched the site some..Thanks..
    Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 10-01-2021, 05:56 PM.
    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

You could measure the voltage drops on the pos and neg lines between the R/R output and the battery.
    There will be some resistance and as the charging current increases the voltage drop will increase.
    Ideally a tenth of a Volt at 5000 rpm between the R/R positive and the battery positive and between the R/R ground wire and the battery neg.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      You could measure the voltage drops on the pos and neg lines between the R/R output and the battery.
      There will be some resistance and as the charging current increases the voltage drop will increase.
      Ideally a tenth of a Volt at 5000 rpm between the R/R positive and the battery positive and between the R/R ground wire and the battery neg.
      A tenth...Thanks for the info..I will start some voltage drop test between components..I grounded the R/R directly to the battery..and frame..Thanks again
      Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 09-30-2021, 06:11 AM.
      sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

13.8 at idle is not bad at all. It's not a volt "loss", it just hasn't been generated. Our crude permanent-magnet alternators simply generate as much as they can, all the time. At lower engine speeds, it simply does not generate full voltage, but 13.8 volts is still charging the battery, so don't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
          13.8 at idle is not bad at all. It's not a volt "loss", it just hasn't been generated. Our crude permanent-magnet alternators simply generate as much as they can, all the time. At lower engine speeds, it simply does not generate full voltage, but 13.8 volts is still charging the battery, so don't worry about it.
          Thanks for the input..At idle it charges at about approx.14.6 -.8 then when revved up it drops to about 13.6 -.8 ..Still charging but about a volt loss between idle and revved up..That is what I was concerned about..Thanks again

Comment

That sounds like symptoms of a bad RR to me. It may just be a bad ground. Try running one direct from the RR to the battery & see if it changes anything. If not fit a Mosfet one. The SH775 series type is best as it protects the stator but the FH020 Shunt type are cheaper. I probably have one of those you can buy if you want it.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              That sounds like symptoms of a bad RR to me. It may just be a bad ground. Try running one direct from the RR to the battery & see if it changes anything. If not fit a Mosfet one. The SH775 series type is best as it protects the stator but the FH020 Shunt type are cheaper. I probably have one of those you can buy if you want it.
              Ran all new grounds...Even straight to the battery..Thanks ..I suspect the R/R also..Still need to do resistance checks and voltage drops between components..Old wires...Replace as needed....Then I need a SH775...LOL...thanks again..
              Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 10-07-2021, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Check the AC output of the stator
                If the AC voltage doesn't drop with revs: You have a regulator problem
                If the AC voltage does drop with revs: You have a stator problem

Comment

Originally posted by bitzz View Post
                  Check the AC output of the stator
                  If the AC voltage doesn't drop with revs: You have a regulator problem
                  If the AC voltage does drop with revs: You have a stator problem
                  Wow never thought of that in a while..100% Thanks ...I think I'm getting a little old anymore..lol..Forgetting the basics..ty again...

Comment

Working...
                  X