GS550 Engine noise during idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 Engine noise during idle

Hi all, my 1981 GS550T was running perfectly until this morning when a loud constant grinding noise from the engine whenever I go into idle. Some observations
    1. Idle - grinding sound
    2. Idle - pull in clutch . Still grinding sound
    3. First gear clutch pull in - totally no grinding sound
    4. Riding along in with clutch release - grinding sound. Maybe less but I believe it's due to the rpm drive drowning compared to idle.
    5. Sounds like the noise is coming from the transmission area of the engine.
    6. Shifting is fine and no clutch slipping.

Recent maintenance I did:
    1. Replace clutch steel plates as some of them were warped beyond tolerance as per manual.
    2. Valve clearance
    3. Engine oil and filter change
    4. Been opening and closing the clutch cover (right side) a few times past week as it was leaking and I was changing gaskets and replacing them as it was leaking even with new gasket.

Can listen to the sound here:

Checks I have done:
    1. Opened up the clutch cover and checked the spring bolts as well as the needle bearing behind and the huge nut behind that. All is tight and well.
    2. Readjusted the clutch push rod from left side to sit and then 1/4 turn out
    3. Started the bike after the above and realized that when it's cold, the sound is not there as I don't believe the checks I did above changed anything other than letting the bike cool down. Haven't brought it out to warm up the engine though.

Really appreciate any tips or help and where should I look at.
    Issue is also over at where I am (Malaysia), some parts are not so easily available so purchases have to be pretty accurate as in when I buy from ebay shipping from the states costs a bomb and buying the wrong parts is costly.

Some pics of the bike since I recently gave it a makeover and I know everyone loves pics:

Last edited by csgoh; 10-02-2021, 07:58 AM. Reason: Trying to add pics
    1981 GS550 (somehow with a drum rear brake)
    2019 MT07 (new!!!)
    2014 Aprilia Tuono RSV4 (sold)
    1992 Honda CBX750FE (sold)

spending more time wrenching than riding...loving every min of it!

Welcome to the site, csgoh.

Can't help with the clutch racket but the bike looks great.
    Love the dual disc, black rim spoke wheels. A clean cafe custom.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

"Grinding" noises rare on a GS. Only ones I remember from a GS was either the clutch basket, big nut loose, or the starter clutch. GS starter clutch bolts are kind'f known for working loose.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks. I just got in there again and removed the nut and checked the springs on the basket. Tighten everything up but it's a b### to get the big nut torque to spec without something to hold down the basket from turning.

Will test tomorrow and get into the starter clutch if still not recified
        Last edited by csgoh; 10-02-2021, 12:15 PM.
        2019 MT07 (new!!!)

Comment

Nice looking bike! Can’t help with noise but since you said this…

“Been opening and closing the clutch cover (right side) a few times past week as it was leaking and I was changing gaskets and replacing them as it was leaking even with new gasket“
          Make sure you got cover screws in right spot….easy to mix up and prevent cover from tightening down. Review their positions

Shop online for OEM Crankcase Cover parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS550T, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by csgoh View Post
            Thanks. I just got in there again and removed the nut and checked the springs on the basket. Tighten everything up but it's a b### to get the big nut torque to spec without something to hold down the basket from turning.
            Put the bike in 1st gear, foot on rear brake pedal.. easy that way.
            Last edited by Rijko; 10-02-2021, 04:13 PM.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

s-l300.jpg

Or make your own tool.
              Still have the steel clutch plates
              you replaced ? Those are perfect
              for a tool like that.
              Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Out of curiosity, would noises caused by me clumsily dropped s nut into the cavity where the starter motor is.
                2019 MT07 (new!!!)

Comment

No, no moving parts in the cavity where where the starter is.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

An update, after last night's clutch basket spring stretching as guided by basscliff and tightening of the clutch basket nut. Seems the grinding noise is gone but I haven't had a chance to do a proper long ride to be sure though. Will keep this thread updated on the progress for others with same issues.\

Further update: thus far all is good and the sound is not back. Have no idea what i did. Maybe backing the clutch adjuster rod (the adjustment on the left side of the bike) helps. Im suspecting it could be that. Maybe its the washer between the needle roller bearing at the tip of the clutch push rod worn not evenly causing friction sound when its not pushed on the clutch plate.
                    Last edited by csgoh; 10-07-2021, 09:54 PM.
                    2019 MT07 (new!!!)

Comment

Working...
                    X