• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive fuel consumption

Hi
    I have a gs750 1977
    It's running rich
    The fuel screws underneath have been messed with so I set them to one turn out
    It was running really rich so turned them in an eighth
    Bike is very responsive at lower revs a bit lumpy mid range and plenty of power top end
    The guy I bought it off took carbs off and sent them to a mechanic cost him £200 replacing all o rings gaskets and set up
    I have 4 into 1 and 102.5 mains
    I bought a gallon of petrol and did under 10 miles before going onto reserve
    Any Ideas why I'm using so much fuel??

The early GS750"s had like a 4.8 gal fuel tank, & appx. .9 gal on res. If the tank was empty & you put in 1 gal. you will go to res. very soon. If you put in .8 gal. it would not start unless on PRI or RES.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

That was the exact why and how answer!^^I would've said, fill the tank, look for drips, expect 40-50 miles per Imperial gallon which is not as good an answer. otherwise, You can't really know mpg without "normal use". It can vary for a whole lot of reasons, including the fuel level in the tank!

Comment

First, the pilot fuel screws only control idle mixture
        Things to consider
        Pilot air settings
        Float height
        Fuel cock leaking gas down the vacuum line
        Needle settings
        Leaking fuel junctions between carbs
        Vacuum carb sync

Sounds like the "carb guy" didn't do a very good job
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Do you know what size pilot screws you have? The '77s came with a variety of pilot sizes, from 15 to 27.5 - check out this post: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ighlight=gs750. Depending on which size you have you'll need more/fewer turns out from seated...you'll find this out from plug chops, but getting in the right ballpark before starting will save you some time. I started with the standard recommendation of 1.5 turns out not knowing I have 27.5 pilots and it was SO rich.

Big T, not to be contrarian, but on the VMs the pilot circuit affects the entire throttle range. It's kind of the 'baseline' fuel flow onto which needle and main circuits are added. Check out page 3 of the VM tuning manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15DS...ew?usp=sharing. It's unlikely this is his problem...just being pedantic

Check your plugs at various throttle openings and go from there. That's the only way to narrow it down.
          1977 GS750

Comment

Working...
          X