Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got any guilty pleasure hobbies?

Two reasons this came to mind.

One is just finding out my neighbor who just retired (older than I thought) has one he says people gave him so much static about his hobby twenty years ago...he hid it from everyone..friends and family.

And something I liked to do but haven't much last two years that many people in my life said I was nuts to do?

My retired neighbor , his basement is full of car models, the plastic ones that come in a box. I've seem some in progress and I have to say...he's pretty good at the details.
    He still has a few from when he started...in 1975 ???!!! When he was 11 yrs old.
    Told me about twenty years ago people joked about him being like a kid and he needed a grown up hobby, when asked about it, he said he quit
    ..LOL
    To his credit he does have early 70s chevelle SS that he rebuilt ..a real one lol.

Just thought it would be fun to ask if anyone here thought they had a quirky? Or Guilty pleasures hobby.

Who knows might give others a fun little hobby
    ..I know many here probably already have a hobby or two...who knows.

Originally posted by trent View Post
    his basement is full of car models
    That would be cool. I walked into a airport lobby once and there were 100 planes hanging from the ceiling. The ol guy behind the desk said he built them all.

Guess I dont really have any......
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

At the age of 64, most people consider my motorcycling a guilty hobby....... but it's my life..........
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
        At the age of 64, most people consider my motorcycling a guilty hobby....... but it's my life..........
        I heard that also, but motorcycles are pretty common.LOL so maybe more acceptable??

Friend of mine his great-grandfather has been building this four wheel contraption out of P.V.C?

From some plans he got online, the guy is in his early nineties, started the project several years ago and has been constantly taking it apart and rebuilding/improving
        It.
        I had a pic of ole guy riding it and then photoshoped him in a sprint car race.

Friend says some family members think he's obsessed with it and needs a new project.

Friend told me the ole man is doing mods so it will take a small engine.

It's actually pretty cool, lot of details.

Comment

Hey, anything that gets you out of a rocking chair in your 90;s should be encouraged..
          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Microbreweries are a slightly guilty pleasure. Modifying the Harley is another. So is modifying the bicycles.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Can gardening be considered a hobby?
              I love being outside and although it sounds corny working with soil/plants brings me peace of mind.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I have more guilty pleasures than hobbies... 😉
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Funny you should ask. Just last night I participated in my guilty pleasure/ hobby. A few time a year I still play the sax. Sometimes for my local HS musical pit orchestra, or my alma matter’s annual Les Brown (he was from very near my Home Town) Jazz festival, or like last night in The Alumni Marching Band. Last night was special, as the Band director who was so instrumental (sorry, not sorry) in making the whole school’s music program great during his time there, passed away a few moths ago. It was a very emotional night. Around 75 or so alumni joined the schools marching band on the field after the crowning of the homecoming queen. My wife (HS sweetheart and still the prettiest majorette) and I got to catch up with a lot of old friends. Later we gathered for drinks at the local Am. Legion. Those on Facebook may be able to see the short video in the link below. The person taking the video managed to get me just as I got lost in the score and had trouble coming back in. Hey, I never said I was any good. But I did have fun.
                  0 views, 1 likes, 1 loves, 0 comments, 0 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Julianne Heim Reiner:

My wife Lori on the left.

Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Some funny replies and rich82gs750, great story and a bit heartwarming..lol

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Can gardening be considered a hobby?
                    I love being outside and although it sounds corny working with soil/plants brings me peace of mind.

I work with a guy that the only previous job he had was 16 years at a greenhouse.
                    He's still very much into gardening and all things plants, met a few people who acquired licence to grow their own cannabis, and even though I don't know anything about cannabis, the set ups and process are quite interesting.
                    Hope mentioning it isn't a violation of forum.

Comment

Mentioning it shouldn't be a problem, but promoting it might raise a few eyebrows.

Comment

Hobbies? Hmmmm. OK.

Photography. Shooting, developing, and printing. My Flickr Photostream here -> https://www.flickr.com/photos/baatfam/

Model Trains. Just recently got back in, after many years out. But I have some room to work now.

Classic Stereo and Vinyl records. Yes....Sounds great!

Bourbon. Finding, collecting, and of course, drinking

Knife collecting. Mostly unused Case knives from the 1970s, and various automatics.

There are a few other, lesser hobbies....and whole bunch we no longer do. (Whitewater, drag racing, etc.)

And oh yah....Motorcycles....but y'all know that.
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Don't do guilty anymore. Tried it, didn't like it one bit.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Bob T. It's no wonder we never see you at the rallies anymore, your cup runneth over with all those hobbies.

P.S. You need a bigger cup.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                              Bob T. It's no wonder we never see you at the rallies anymore, your cup runneth over with all those hobbies.

P.S. You need a bigger cup.
                              That's what she said.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X