No announcement yet.

Got any guilty pleasure hobbies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Bob, I decided you were the winner, even before I saw Bogie and the Beatles.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Just motos and photos for me and I don’t feel guilty.
      My love for tube powered antique audio is still alive, but it’s all collecting dust.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Can gardening be considered a hobby?
        I love being outside and although it sounds corny working with soil/plants brings me peace of mind.

That's a great selection of Hostas Steve I love my down time in the garden as well, like my efe and cbx it's a project that I can't stop modifying.
        Last edited by wyly; 10-04-2021, 09:56 PM.
        1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Guilty pleasures, I can't stop modifying anything, my home, my bikes, my garden... my body, I love weight lifting but covid stopped my sessions I had a goal to bench press 300lbs by my 70th b'day, don't know if I'll make it now.

And I have this 16th century scale ship I've been building plank by plank for close to 40 years now. I had hoped to a have it finished last summer but a very sick wife and covid has turned my life on it's head, something always comes up that forces it back up on the shelf. I was looking at today it needs a solid 4 months of effort to complete but I have so much to do this winter, strip down the efe, paint the frame, begin modifying the electrical, re-sleeve the engine for overbore pistons then reassemble it all for the spring.

Too many hobbies and not enough years left.
          1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Crikey, those are all perfectly respectable hobbies. Nothing "guilty" at all.

Here's mine: reasonably current pop artists.

There are some damn good new songwriters and performers out there among all the crap and rap.

I'm 53, but a big fan of Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Dua Lipa, Sia, Miley Cyrus (some of her stuff is brilliant, some is schlock), Katy Perry and lots more.

I was in a busy classic rock band for about 12 years, and I am absolutely, royally, 100%, sick and tired of hearing classic rock. Played and sang it thousands of times for thousands of drunks. Can't stand it any more. Get that Bob Seger and ZZ Top away from me; I'm TIRED of it. Gimme new stuff.

And that's also why the sound of dudes singing grates upon my ears like you wouldn't believe. So almost all the artists I prefer are women. Cool instrumentals like Bassnectar are fine by me, and I can dig some Eels or Coldplay, usually the older stuff, and Gorillaz usually gets a pass.

I really don't like rap, so it does bug me when a band like Gorillaz stops a beautiful song dead in its tracks to let some moron mumble for a while. Way too many otherwise good pop tracks are released with a second "remix" version with some doof blabbering for no reason. There are a few songs where a rap segment is integrated, or at least makes sense, but most are just attempts to get more listeners.

My Mom's second husband was, for reasons no one could explain fully (other than she's just that awesome), a HUGE fan of Lady Gaga. Little hillbilly guy with a huge white beard and overalls, and instead tuning the radio in his F450 diesel pickup to the local yeehaw station, he'd blast his "Born this Way" CD on his way to feed the cows.
            Last edited by bwringer; 10-05-2021, 04:27 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Hobbies, hmmmm, I , have several. But the one I am most noted for is this. Guilty? Yes takes many hours away from my lady.

E70B3310-EFB6-4D7D-98AA-114ADEF05D46.jpg

Last edited by gustovh; 10-06-2021, 04:00 PM.
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I dabbled in piano and electric bass in my youth, but I've always wanted to play a musical instrument competently. Like most things I try to get into, I just never could stick with it when life got busy. My dad was an accordion player and passed away a couple years ago. One day, I decided to get his old squeezebox out and learn something on it as a way of staying connected with him somehow. That was a year ago, now I have two accordions, practice almost every day, and can almost play a handful of songs decently.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I own 18 older/ vintage cars and bunch of older motorcycles.

I drive a lot for work so I get good use out of the daily drivers. They more than earn their keep.

I really enjoy working on them, fixing and repairing is the focus of the hobby. Generally I'll resurrect one basket case project each year - or at least that's the goal.

Comment

Hey, Arge101.
                    Don’t think can just make a first post here in a random off-topic thread un-noticed.

Welcome to the forum.

First (now second) order of business is for you to create a new thread in the GS Owners Forum. Introduce yourself and your bike(s), especially any GSs you have or had. We’d love to hear about your car collection as well. And we love pictures. If you haven’t found it already, making a signature with bike specifics is appreciated. Go to settings at the top right of any page then you’ll find the signature creation tools on the left.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Arge101 View Post
                      I own 18 older/ vintage cars and bunch of older motorcycles.

I drive a lot for work so I get good use out of the daily drivers. They more than earn their keep.

I really enjoy working on them, fixing and repairing is the focus of the hobby. Generally I'll resurrect one basket case project each year - or at least that's the goal.
                      Welcome ! Welcome !
                      THis definitely requires pictures.
                      An introduction post in "Owners" would be a good way to do that.

Tell us more. Show us more.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                        Hobbies, hmmmm, I , have several. But the one I am most noted for is this. Guilty? Yes takes many hours away from my lady.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63432[/ATTACH]

SCA stuff, Gustov?
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          SCA stuff, Gustov?
                          Them's his riding gloves!
                          Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                          "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                          1982 GS1100E
                          1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63432[/ATTACH]

V...you get my vote for most likely to survive a zombie apocalypse
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                              V...you get my vote for most likely to survive a zombie apocalypse
                              V is already way ahead of all of us, with his demolition training
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I've got too many hobbies to list but most center on building/restoring mechanical stuff.

- Restoring old motorcycles of course. Not just getting them running, but full restoration (check my KZ build thread for an example.)
                                - Bike riding and building my own frames.
                                - Custom keyboards. My kid got me into this and it's fun. I've been a mechanical keyboard guy forever and my son took it to the next level which is fun and gives us something to do together.
                                - Building desktop computers. Both my kid and I have full customs, and his in particular is high powered with a killer video card (for gaming) along with a really nice CPU
                                - An offshoot of the motorcycle thing is restoring carbs from the GS era. Not just cleaning them, full restore so they look and perform like new. (this provides extra $ for the other hobbies)
                                - Golf, including building custom clubs.
                                - Audio equipment. No building here, but I've got a nice theater system plus headphone/dac/headphone amp setup.

I know several guys getting ready to retire only they don't know what to do with their time. I don't have that problem!
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X