speedometer gauge disassemby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedometer gauge disassemby

My speedometer is buzzing, and I think it's the gauge--I lubed the cable and it's spinning freely. I'm lucky that I have an older instrument set to use to experiment (the original, which I'll remount if I get it working). It looks like the retaining ring around the face of the gauge was press fitted into place by the factory--am I looking at cutting that ring if I want to disassemble the gauge completely?
    Thanks all.
    1978 GS 750 E
    1979 XS11 Standard
    1973 CB450

Pry the edge of the retaining ring up very slowly and carefully with a sharpened screwdriver (or similar) a little at a time working your way around the ring. Maybe take 3 or 4 passes to fully open. When you're done fixing the clock reverse the procedure to close up.
    There's at least a couple of threads on here regarding this process.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

You might get some joy by squirting a little ACF50 or some lube where the cable fits. you need to get the outside of the bearing not the actual square hole. That works sometimes.
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Thanks all. I ended up disassembling both the speedos I have (getting that retaining ring pried off is surely an exercise in patience), and lubing from both sides of the spindle with fishing reel oil. a little dab of synthetic grease on the gears as well. the one on the bike loosened up quite a bit, still makes a bit of hissing noise but no repeats of the death rattles and groans I heard before. A couple small shards of black plastic came out of it--I assume they were pieces from a failing bushing that was making the worst noise.

The other (original) one does what it should with a square drill bit spinning it too, so good hopes for getting the original cluster rehabbed and back on the bike.
        1978 GS 750 E
        1979 XS11 Standard
        1973 CB450

Comment

Working...
        X