Points upgrade to 80s Ignitor Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Points upgrade to 80s Ignitor Box

One of the condensors on one of our GS550's, specifically a '78 with points, failed. I had a spare set from my GS750 that I swapped in from when I put a Dyna in that bike so it's running for now but I want to upgrade the system. I had stripped a bunch of parts of a couple of extra 80's GS550's I had, including an ignitor box and pickup plate.

Is there anything I need to consider before taking the points plate in, throwing the 80's pickup plate in and wiring in the ignitor box? When I've installed Dyna ignitions before, I've used the mechanical advance and doing some research see a little discrepancy between some of the electronic ignition systems and whether you keep the mechanical advance or not. What's the deal there?

Thanks!
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Electronic advance appeared in '83 on the larger bikes, not sure about the 550.

As long as you wire everything correctly, what you have should work.

Comment

The 80's used mechanical advance. The 550 had two different types from memory, I'm not sure whether that will cause you any fitment issues. Personally I'd just fit another Dyna S if it was me. Less hassle
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try and make it work with the ignitor box and pickup plate that I have. I'd be happy to shell out for another dyna but it's not my bike (we kind of have a fleet of GS550's at my house that I maintain) and I'm really interested because I like playing with GS bikes want to minimize having to have to maintain points on other people's bikes lol. I'll report back after I try it this week/end.
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
        X