Loose stator screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose stator screw

I took off the left crankcase cover to find the source of a small oil leak and found that one of the stator screws unscrewed itself.

Stator.jpg

I installed the stator about 1,000 miles ago, should have used Loctite.
    1982 Suzuki GS1100G(K)

This is the damaged screw:

Stator Bolt.jpg
    1982 Suzuki GS1100G(K)

Comment

Blue loctite is recommended for the screws that hold the stator to the stator cover. https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...t=Stator+bolts
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Has it caused any damage to the magnets?
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Now you're making me question my own stator change. Did I locktite those screws? I don't remember.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Schroedinger's cat, Larry ;-)
            (been there)
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
              Now you're making me question my own stator change. Did I locktite those screws? I don't remember.
              I last changed my stator in 2011…..no locktite and no problem.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                Many years ago my Z1 was not charging the battery. I rode it like that for a year or more. Finally my father and I decided to look inside. Cleaning the windings with Emory paper was all we could think of. We closed it back up, not knowing from torque wrenches or Locktite.

Sometime after I was riding in the Catskills and I noticed it wouldn't go past 110 mph. Using magical thinking, I willed the problem to disappear, and decided to get a downhill gravity boost. At about 110 mph, the stator cover broke and I could see the engine spinning under me. My Levi's protected me from the hot oil, but that was secondary.

I pulled over and jumped off before I had the side stand set, and a small fire erupted as it lay on it's side. A girl in a bikini and her mother pulled over and helped me douse it with their water cooler.

Good times. Just sayin'.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  You must have done something wrong.
                  (And so far, have gotten away with it.)

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                    You must have done something wrong.
                    (And so far, have gotten away with it.)
                    oem used locker
                    incredbly short sighted
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Many years ago my Z1 was not charging the battery. I rode it like that for a year or more. Finally my father and I decided to look inside. Cleaning the windings with Emory paper was all we could think of. We closed it back up, not knowing from torque wrenches or Locktite.

Sometime after I was riding in the Catskills and I noticed it wouldn't go past 110 mph. Using magical thinking, I willed the problem to disappear, and decided to get a downhill gravity boost. At about 110 mph, the stator cover broke and I could see the engine spinning under me. My Levi's protected me from the hot oil, but that was secondary.

I pulled over and jumped off before I had the side stand set, and a small fire erupted as it lay on it's side. A girl in a bikini and her mother pulled over and helped me douse it with their water cooler.

Good times. Just sayin'.
                      So your memory has retained "girl in a bikini and her mother" after all those years....
                      2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
                      1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
                      1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

Comment

Working...
                      X