83 GS1100e tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100e tuning?

Hi all. Long time reader here with my first question.

I am super close to being tuned perfectly (I had let someone work on my bike and it was WAAAAAY off). As of now I am close enough that simply removing the baffle from my Vance and Hines makes it almost perfect. But then it is too loud for my liking.

He had me at 170/45 jets with the Dyna 2000 ignition, Vance and Hines, and air pods. I was suuuper rich and fouling out plugs dang near instantly. The facebook GS guys said this is way too big of a main.

I then (no one else will ever touch my bike again!) finally learned to remove/replace/tinker with carbs. I lowered the needles as low as they can go and I am very close now! (actually close to perfect with the baffle removed like I said....but still a TAD rich). He had the clips 2 wrungs down, with a shim, from where I am now.

This tech told me that he only did what Dyna recommended and that he didn't even test ride it at all. I can tell! LOL.

I ordered 160's today. Am I headed in the correct direction?

I'll be doing a lot of reading/searching in here today but figured it was just best to ask too...
    Last edited by mattv; 10-04-2021, 05:22 PM.

Originally posted by mattv View Post
    I am super close to being tuned perfectly...This tech told me that he only did what Dyna recommended and that he didn't even test ride it at all. I can tell! LOL.

I can't help you because my mechanic refused to reveal the jet sizes he used (he did use a Dyna kit, though).

He also refuses to road test bikes; he says the dyno tells him all he needs to know. He did say it only took him a few tries, and it sure feels as near perfect as can be. I originally had a V&H "Street Megaphone" exhaust, now it has the "SS," which is a tad quieter.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks man. I know I am super close. My 160's should be here today or tomorrow.

I am guessing you are at 160/45. My former techs dyno machine was down and apparently without it he is too fat and useless to simply ride the bike and see how far off he is or even just friggin goose the throttle a few times! It was waaaaay off and he was so clueless that I can't even believe he has a shop.

Comment

Originally posted by mattv View Post
        I have an 82 1100E with Kerker canister exhaust and APE pods. Being a Canadian model the OEM needles have multiple grooves and I have tuned it using Mikuni jets with the stock needle. I am in the middle of a house move so my notebook is packed away. Going from memory I am at ~142.5 mains, stock pilot jets at 3.25-3.5 turns out, needles in one of the center couple of grooves, float height is stock. Cams are degreed to 107I/109E (again from memory, so could be slightly off) and I live at 3400ft ASL.

You don't say what kind of pods you have, what parts you are using in your carbs and if there is a dynojet kit involved or not. I would agree that your 170 mains are way too big for a stock engine and the 160's will be more in the ballpark, especially if you live near sea level. The problem with carb tuning is you don't know you have found the sweet spot until you go too far the other way. Plan on buying a couple more sets of main jets to confirm you have found the winner.

As a test you can pull the choke lever while riding in each carb circuit range and see what it does. If it pulls better you are lean, if it bogs badly you are rich and if it bogs slightly you are pretty close.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I really need a fresh start here....I started over.

Can anyone with air pods and a Vance and Hines tell me what they are at?

Where are your clips, what are your lows and what are your mains?

Mikuni 33's on a 83 GS1100e.

Comment

You forgot the part about the VM33's before. This is a critical detail.

Read though this thread, towards the back after Pete got the bike running. He's using VM33's, header, and pods and there is lots of specific jetting info. You can try PM'ing him too. He's a great guy and I'm sure he would be glad to offer advice.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks man I have some reading ahead of me tonight!

Comment

Actually I think I have found the thread I need! LOL.

Comment

Working...
                X