Dropped wrist pin into crankcase……..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped wrist pin into crankcase……..

Let’s see if I can calm my nerves enough to write this.

putting #3 piston on con rod.
    fumbled the wrist pin and it went down #4
    (Thru the cloth I had down for stuff like the ring clip)
    I saw it down there. My first attempt to retrieve it, it rolled away toward center.
    tilt bike and it doesn’t roll back.
    fished around with magnet probe, no find in #4 and #3
    i figure is down in deeper sump by oil
    filter.

question:
    Engine in frame. I have exhaust off. 82 1100gk.
    So should be able to take off the bottom case cover (“pan”) , right?
    and should find the wrist pin there?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

yes take the pan off
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

What a pig, sorry for that, you'll get it with the pan off.
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Let’s see if I can calm my nerves enough to write this.

putting #3 piston on con rod.
        fumbled the wrist pin and it went down #4
        (Thru the cloth I had down for stuff like the ring clip)
        I saw it down there. My first attempt to retrieve it, it rolled away toward center.
        tilt bike and it doesn’t roll back.
        fished around with magnet probe, no find in #4 and #3
        i figure is down in deeper sump by oil
        filter.

question:
        Engine in frame. I have exhaust off. 82 1100gk.
        So should be able to take off the bottom case cover (“pan”) , right?
        and should find the wrist pin there?
        Try fishing with a big magnet?
        On the other hand, never a bad idea to take the oil pan off, inspect the residue and replace the gasket. Good chance to replace the shift detente spring. I know mine needs replacing.
        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 10-04-2021, 04:31 PM.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Good idea to remove the pan and clean it anyway. Check the oil strainer while there, it's possibly needing a rinse.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Get a new oil pan gasket on hand. Mine was a real chore to remove, about 50/50 stayed on the pan/bottom of engine. Scraping gasket residue on your back for hours is not a fun time. Sorry Dave. Bummer.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Got a big magnet on cord. Sticks to any and everything so can’t hardly manouver it.

went and got a small magnet (rated 3 pounds) on extendable probe with flexible end.
              Spent a lot of time, can’t find the wrist pin, in any cylinder hole , not much a accessible thru cam chain area.

maybe good idea about that shift spring thing, maybe I should
              look into that, but am working crawling/wiggling around on the floor, am barley gonna be able to do the pan removal and replacement. (Darn, now, will need to wait for gasket).

Okay, inspect clean filter.

wow, such good responses in such short time.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Dave, if I lived closer, I’d come over and help you rake the engine out of the frame.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Once you retrieve it be sure to stuff shop rags around every hole including the one your working on. prevent the retainer clips from falling in also
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

This reminds me of one of Ed Hertfelder's Duct Tape columns: Saturday Night Favor. One of his better columns, IMHO. Pity they're so hard to find these days.
                    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                    1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      Once you retrieve it be sure to stuff shop rags around every hole including the one your working on. prevent the retainer clips from falling in also
                      Chuck, it happened with the rags in place, see post #1.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Got a big magnet on cord. Sticks to any and everything so can’t hardly manouver it.

went and got a small magnet (rated 3 pounds) on extendable probe with flexible end.
                        Spent a lot of time, can’t find the wrist pin, in any cylinder hole , not much a accessible thru cam chain area.

maybe good idea about that shift spring thing, maybe I should
                        look into that, but am working crawling/wiggling around on the floor, am barley gonna be able to do the pan removal and replacement. (Darn, now, will need to wait for gasket).

Okay, inspect clean filter.

wow, such good responses in such short time.
                        After 2 major engine projects in 2 years, I have 2 bikes not road worthy because of small issues.
                        I wanted to do something else this summer, upgraded the kitchen.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          I had some shop rags in place, was thinking of the wrist pin retaining clips, so the rags just kinda layed in place (not stuffed in like you suggested).
                          Had wrist pin in the piston, trying to get it into the con rod, so holding piston and conrod with fingers, and trying to push-pull wrist pin with thumbs, and inadvertently pulled the wrist pin all the way out, and its weight sagged the shop cloth and the pin fell through.
                          My stupid fumbling.

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                            yes take the pan off
                            Yep, okay.

Still not finding the wrist pin.
                            Was thinking would find it laying in the pan. But that not realistic, now that see all the stuff that is in there.
                            Poked fingers up thru everywhere I could.

GOt exhaust completly out of the way (had been hanging there, intact, had to separate the pipes to get it completely out of the way)
                            so can get under there and look up.

Still not finding it.

And, did poke around under the gasket that goes across the pan.

Need to devise other plan (before I get completely discouraged).

Last edited by Redman; 10-04-2021, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                              . . . . . . . . .
                              . . . . . . Good chance to replace the shift detente spring. I know mine needs replacing.
                              I should look into that more.

Is it related to that obvious bolt head?

(See better in other pic)

That seems to be fairly accessable. Yah, since ordering a pan gasket, I could look into that shift spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X