Dropped wrist pin into crankcase……..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
    Good idea to remove the pan and clean it anyway. Check the oil strainer while there, it's possibly needing a rinse.
    Was a bit of thick sludge. Some chunks of gasket scrapping (cam cover maybe). And a oring a bit smaller than intake boot oring (??? dont know what that would be).

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Get a new oil pan gasket on hand. Mine was a real chore to remove, about 50/50 stayed on the pan/bottom of engine. Scraping gasket residue on your back for hours is not a fun time. Sorry Dave. Bummer.
    Mine stayed 95% on the pan.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Try turning the engine slowly, it might fall through.

There's not that much that would have it hang up, trying to visualize what might be there to have it get stuck.

Try using a mirror and flashlight from underneath, if you have one of those adjustable mirrors on an extendable arm, they are awesome for tasks like this and they save your back.

Good luck,

David.

Failing that a camera.

Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 10-04-2021, 09:27 PM.
      2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
      2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
      1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
      2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
      1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
      1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
      1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
      Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

snagged up under a lobe on the crank probably. May take a little crank movement accompanied with a pencil magnet
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
          Try turning the engine slowly, it might fall through.....
          I know it not hung up on crank or sometime, I know is on bottom of crankcase, I saw it on bottom under #4, and then saw it roll over to #3 area, and not roll back when tilted bike.

Have turned crank a few times to get different view past the throw/conrods.

Yep, such a mirror is my next plann.

Interesting about the scope for $35
          Last edited by Redman; 10-04-2021, 09:38 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Just spit-balling but could you try to 'flush' it out with some kerosene or something? maybe a squirt bottle (like a bicycle water bottle) to aim at suspect places? Some liquid that would break its bond with any sludge it may have stuck to, but not be detrimental to the innards?

Edit: Oops I was thinking it was a circlip not the whole pin, for some reason not including bourbon.
            Last edited by oldGSfan; 10-05-2021, 11:47 AM.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Pan gasket can be reused in a pinch, no?

But...looking at the exploded view drawing of the engine; it looks a bit complicated (if possible at all?) to shake/roll/fumble the pin from #4's bottom over and into the pan? It looks it could be stuck (sludge, as previous poster commented) to or around a crankshaft bearing wall (not sure how to call it).

I have yet to go into an engine that deep and have no idea about the size of the wrist pin or how it all looks in reality, so I could be completely off.
              Last edited by roeme; 10-05-2021, 09:38 AM.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                I should look into that more.

Is it related to that obvious bolt head?

(See better in other pic)

That seems to be fairly accessable. Yah, since ordering a pan gasket, I could look into that shift spring.
                I think that big bolt cap is the access to the detente pin and spring.
                Parts 19 thru 22 on the gif I posted.

PS: Probably the wrist pin is sitting on a ledge near the last place you saw it.
                Best 'O luck tweaking it out, kinda like an arcade game.

Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 10-05-2021, 05:52 AM.
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

DEPSTECH Wireless Endoscope, IP67 Waterproof WiFi Borescope Inspection 2.0 Megapixels HD Snake Camera for Android and iOS Smartphone, iPhone, Samsung, Tablet -Black(11.5FT)
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thanks Bill.
                    THanks Bob.
                    Thanks Roe.

Quick update: found it. Retrieved it.

so, that was a days delay, of the two days I had to work on this.
                    and now have more to do (reinstall pan, reassemble exhaust).

more later.

now, let’s see , where was I…….
                    Last edited by Redman; 10-05-2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Ata boy Dave.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Thanks.

Quick update: found it. Retrieved it.

so, that was a days delay, of the two days I had to work on this.
                        and now have more to do (reinstall pan, reassemble exhaust).

more later.

now, let’s see , where was I…….

So that's it? Not going to tell us how and where you found it or how you removed it?
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                          So that's it? Not going to tell us how and where you found it or how you removed it?
                          Ahh, Larr, you should know me better than that.

Yah, I am gonna yack at y'all with a long story and pictures.
                          (just wanted to make some reassembly progress first....)
                          Last edited by Redman; 10-05-2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

. . . . . . . tell us how . . . . .
                            Went to home depot and found a magnet on a probe. But no mirrors.

Went to adavanced auto and got an arsenal of mechanics inspection mirrors and grabber-reachers.
                            Didnt get the 1 1/2 x 3 inch mirror, that seemed too big.
                            But got the 2" round one,
                            and I had a 1" round one (that I thought would be too small).

. . . . . . . tell us how and where you found it . . . . .
                            Using this third eye

Actaully that mirror (2") was too big to maneuver around, down in there, in some places, so also used a smaller one (1", not shown).
                            Took a lot of fussing around to get mirror and light and eyeball in a position to see in a particular direction, then to look in next direction took some more fussing around.....

Looked around in the bottom of #4 (where was last seen) and #3 (where I thought it rolled to, and didnt roll back when tipped bike/engine). Took quick look in #2 and #1. Tryed looking up and around from underneath with pan removed with out much success.

THen turned crank 180 so that throw/con-rod moved from front to back (or back to front), and then I looked around in those other areas with mirror & light.

ANd saw it down in #4 up against the outside wall. WHich surprized me cuz, originally I saw it roll from 4 to 3, and didnt get it to roll back that I could see.
                            I dont know why I didnt see it first time I looked in that direction in #4. Is kinda hard to tell what are looking at.
                            And, I had been convinced I last saw it roll from 4 to 3 and not come back to 4, so thought it would be down in the deeper part under #3.

With a little manipulation with a reacher-grabber (not shown) I got it to move a little bit (see pic) to where could get with magnetic probe and pull it up and out.
                            Last edited by Redman; 10-05-2021, 10:32 PM.

Comment

So, now back to the project thread.

Comment

Great job!

$hit happens, it's how we deal with it that matters.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X