Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New DR650

Hi all,
    Shortly after my accident I sold my DR650 as I knew it would be quite sometime, if ever that I would be riding in the dirt again. My surgeon said he would look at taking the pins out of my hip in 6 months and that I will need to be on crutches for another 6 weeks....I want another dual sport for next year...most of my riding buddies have them and I miss that kind of riding.
    So I have been thinking about a Husky 701...light weight, very road capable and cool as fu*k!
    But a buddy that has one has been having issues with valves on his three year old bike...just did a $3000 top end...yikes....he said to me "Buy another DR, I'm not buying another Eurocash sucking bike again"!
    Anyway when I was at my dealer Saturday putting a deposit on the GTA I bought I got looking the DR's there....the new 2022 has some "new emission controls" on it and only comes with a one year warranty...and is $7400cdn...my buddy that owns the shop says "I have three new 2020 DR's and I can sell you one for $5900cdn with a five year factory warranty and a $350 accessory credit.
    I figured I could budget another $3000 and kit it out with all the stuff I would want on it and still be well below the price of a 701....not to mention having a much more reliable bike...all be it heavier and slower...
    Sorry for the long winded post but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts...cheers

No signature

I guess as long as your wife will still have room in the garage for her car, go for it. Gotta be getting cramped in there, though. I kid because I'm jealous as F.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Dr650 no brainer choice
      Probably stolen less to boot
      Apparently KTM is a huge target in some places
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Well, with any D/S purchase it all comes down to where it sits on the dirt-street spectrum and how that dovetails with what you want it to do. If the DR is in the right spot for you then go for it.
        It's always been a bike I liked, and could argue that I'd be better off on one of those rather than the DR-Z400S I have.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

What kind of Honda is Itchyboots riding across Africa currently? Whatever that is takes her through some pretty gnarly terrain and handles well on the road.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
            Well, with any D/S purchase it all comes down to where it sits on the dirt-street spectrum and how that dovetails with what you want it to do. If the DR is in the right spot for you then go for it.
            It's always been a bike I liked, and could argue that I'd be better off on one of those rather than the DR-Z400S I have.
            My single track days are done...not interested in it and too easy to get hurt. I like doing bigger trips on the dual sport...a couple of years ago 7 of us did the Washington BDR from Osoyoos BC to Portland OR....6 days through the mountains...it was awesome! It was decided then that the DR650 was probably the overall perfect bike for that trip...and that was coming from a couple of buddies on 1090 KTMs...

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            Dr650 no brainer choice
            Probably stolen less to boot
            Apparently KTM is a huge target in some places
            That probably true. I think you are right...no brainer.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            I guess as long as your wife will still have room in the garage for her car, go for it. Gotta be getting cramped in there, though. I kid because I'm jealous as F.
            Lol...my wife knows I'm going to replace my DR eventually and I have been warming her up listening me talk about getting a 701....so a DR being half the price will slip through without much issue from her...and there is still lots of room in the garage at 6 bikes...I've had 7 before..
            Cheers guys,
            No signature

Comment

I have a Husky TE610 (2008, fuel injection) and ride with a guy who has a 2016 701. The 650 gives away about 40lb to the 701 & about 50lb to my 610. That can make a big difference I guess. They also make more power for running the freeway & have better suspension, wheels etc as standard as well as a 6 spd box (the ratios are better in the 610 than the 701) but I think the DR would be fine too, it or the 400 were on my list when I got rid of the KLR....

There is definitely a running cost benefit to the Suzuki as well as much more availability of parts & farkles. The 610 is pretty hard to find some parts for & the forum support is not much good at all although there is decent historic data there. One of the issues with the 701 is the small fuel range with limited (expensive) options to change that. Mine came with a 20+ litre Safari on it so I am the gas mule for my mate...
              Last edited by salty_monk; 10-05-2021, 05:33 PM.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                I have a Husky TE610 (2008, fuel injection) and ride with a guy who has a 2016 701. The 650 gives away about 40lb to the 701 & about 50lb to my 610. That can make a big difference I guess. They also make more power for running the freeway & have better suspension, wheels etc as standard as well as a 6 spd box (the ratios are better in the 610 than the 701) but I think the DR would be fine too, it or the 400 were on my list when I got rid of the KLR....

There is definitely a running cost benefit to the Suzuki as well as much more availability of parts & farkles. The 610 is pretty hard to find some parts for & the forum support is not much good at all although there is decent historic data there. One of the issues with the 701 is the small fuel range with limited (expensive) options to change that. Mine came with a 20+ litre Safari on it so I am the gas mule for my mate...
                I will budget 3-4 grand for upgrades to address and bigger fuel tank, skid plate, rear rack, tail tidy, bars and risers, heated grips, wider foot pegs, bark busters, carb jetting, exhaust, comfort seat, rear and front suspension, engine guards etc...it will never have the power of a 701 but it will get the job done for my intended use....and be reliable as the sun.
                No signature

Comment

Crazy good price 1500 less than latest add 225 tax savings on difference
                  Go buy one
                  Hell I could fly out drive it home in a mad dash against frosty ever shortening days.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                    Crazy good price 1500 less than latest add 225 tax savings on difference
                    Go buy one
                    Hell I could fly out drive it home in a mad dash against frosty ever shortening days.
                    Lol...he has three on the floor....
                    No signature

Comment

Yeah the only way I see you getting a better deal is to buy one with all those farkles already fitted but where's the fun in that
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        Yeah the only way I see you getting a better deal is to buy one with all those farkles already fitted but where's the fun in that
                        Exactly! And buying a used dual sport can be risky for obvious reasons.
                        No signature

Comment

Go for it Trevor, I sold 2 DR's last year and regretted it a week later.

Are there any dealer fees on top of the $5900, other than the taxes?

David.
                          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                            Go for it Trevor, I sold 2 DR's last year and regretted it a week later.

Are there any dealer fees on top of the $5900, other than the taxes?

David.
                            It's $7400 out the door...taxes and dealer fees.
                            No signature

Comment

I did it! I'm picking it up Saturday
                              $5999cdn (that's $4780US) with 5 year factory warranty and $350 accessory credit.

No signature

Comment

Working...
                              X