Engine guard ID assistance needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine guard ID assistance needed.

A long time again, a friend gave me a set of engine guards that he assumed would fit on my GS550. They don't, and they don't appear to me to be designed for anything like my GS550. As far as I know, they aren't even designed for a GS OR a Suzuki.

I'm hoping someone familiar with other motorcycles might be able to point me in the right direction.

I could just throw them out, but they look in relatively good shape, and I'm sure someone could put them to good use.

guard1.jpg

I'll post another photo in the next post.
    sigpic
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

Here's my second shot from a different angle. And if anyone happens to be interested, let me know with a email.

guard2.jpg
    sigpic
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

Comment

They are for Suzuki, one of the larger ones.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Thanks. That makes sense, and helps a lot. Tracking down the specific model will be a lot easier now.
        sigpic
        '77 GS550B
        '78 GS550C

Comment

I'd be interested. How would we determine if they fit a 1980 GS750L?

sigpic
          1980 GS750L

Comment

I'm not exactly sure. All I can do are provide pictures and measurements from point-to-point -- most importantly, the frame connection points. I know on my GS550 there were different models of guards that would fit, but they do not all attach at the same sockets on the GS550 frame. That is probably the same for most (all?) GS frames.

At this point, all I've done is look at some of the guards on EBAY listed for GS models. None of the ones that I've seen look like the ones I have -- so the search goes on.
            sigpic
            '77 GS550B
            '78 GS550C

Comment

Here's the measurements I found on the '80 750L....Capture.jpg roughly 2 /14" between bolts (cntr - cntr) on the front engine mount. And then 8" from top bolt on bottom mount to front mount lower bolt. There is 2" from outside the frame to inside the frame on the front engine mounts. Is that close to what the guards you have measure?
              Last edited by Pete Wrigley; 10-22-2021, 11:34 AM.

sigpic
              1980 GS750L

Comment

If all of those mounting tabs fit on a standard size piece of paper you can trace them, scan the page and email the jpg file. Even if they don't fit, tape pages together and draw reference marks to recreate the layout. Then print it and compare the drawing to the other bike. It helped us determine that the two sets I have did not fit another member's bike.

Not sure if these are downloadable, but this is what I meant.

Last edited by Burque73; 10-21-2021, 08:35 AM.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Brings me back to my High School drafting class days. Good Idea, Thanks.

sigpic
                  1980 GS750L

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. There is a set of guards on EBAY right now that look identical to the ones I have. They are listed as for a '81 GS750. I assume they will fit other years as well. I'll take a closer look at nail it down. With some rust removal these will work fine on someone's GS750, I'm sure.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!!!
                    sigpic
                    '77 GS550B
                    '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
                      Thanks for all the suggestions. There is a set of guards on EBAY right now that look identical to the ones I have. They are listed as for a '81 GS750. I assume they will fit other years as well. I'll take a closer look at nail it down. With some rust removal these will work fine on someone's GS750, I'm sure.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!!!
                      Are these the same set you saw?

I saw this on Ebay. Turns out the seller was nearby so I went and picked them up today. She said they were for an '81 GS750L. They will fit my '80 just fine it appears.

Case_Guards.jpg

sigpic
                      1980 GS750L

Comment

Yes, those are the ones I saw -- BUT the ones I have (see photo above) does not have the "extension" on the lower right-hand corner. Instead, it's basically flat like the one on the other side!!! Seems odd.
                        sigpic
                        '77 GS550B
                        '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
                          Yes, those are the ones I saw -- BUT the ones I have (see photo above) does not have the "extension" on the lower right-hand corner. Instead, it's basically flat like the one on the other side!!! Seems odd.
                          Yeah, they work around the exhaust and the case. Each side slightly different. Yours could be for an '83. I've seen the '83 GS1100L with these style.

sigpic
                          1980 GS750L

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                            sigpic
                            '77 GS550B
                            '78 GS550C

Comment

Working...
                            X