GS550E engine diagnosis ideas needed -- while OFF of the frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E engine diagnosis ideas needed -- while OFF of the frame

A long time ago, a friend gave me an engine and transmission block from a GS550E. He was moving and needed to unload it, so here it sits. It looks in good shape, but I have no use for it, and he never told me what shape it was in. I assume it's OK, otherwise he probably never would have had anything to do with it -- let alone give it to me. But now it's just taking up space.

Since I don't want to trash it -- someone can use it, assuming it's basically OK -- how can I test it out to determine it's condition without being on a frame or connected to electricity, gas, etc.????? I have no idea how many miles on it, but it looks in good shape.
    sigpic
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

Take off the points cover, use a 19mm spanner to see if it turns. How much further you go is up to you, but you could end up spending money on gaskets etc that you may not recoup.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

That was my first thought -- once I figure out if it in gear.
      sigpic
      '77 GS550B
      '78 GS550C

Comment

Adjust valves then do leakdown test
        If starters in place plugs out crank it
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I checked the 19mm bolt today and it turns fine. It's firm, but I expected that given that the plugs are still in and there appears to be no oil.

There are no carbs or mufflers attached, but the starter is in place and probably works. The transmission is NOT in neutral, but I have no idea what gear it is in.

So my thought is to put some old, but good enough, oil in it, get it into neutral somehow, and then ask for more suggestions.

If I just send 12 volts to the starter will that work or make things worse?
          Last edited by xkaes; 10-06-2021, 12:00 PM.
          sigpic
          '77 GS550B
          '78 GS550C

Comment

Putting 12v to the starter will really only tell you whether the starter motor turns or not. Personally I'd find neutral, take the plugs out, put a teaspoon of oil in each bore and turn it by hand a few times. If it won't change gear easily, wrap a rag round the front sprocket and try to rotate it while selecting gear. After that, how much further do you want to go?
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

I had a few minutes to play with the transmission today, and have some good news and some unknown stuff.

I was able to easily turn the gearshift shaft though all six gears and got it into neutral. That's the good news -- even though it may not tell me the true state of the transmission.

Then I discovered something puzzling. Next to the engine sprocket is a "pushrod" that sticks out a couple of inches and is activated with the handlebar shift lever. On this transmission I can slide this rod in and out about eight inches. On my other engines, the same rod only moves about 1/2 inch. My first thought is BAD NEWS! Am I right???
              sigpic
              '77 GS550B
              '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
                I had a few minutes to play with the transmission today, and have some good news and some unknown stuff.

I was able to easily turn the gearshift shaft though all six gears and got it into neutral. That's the good news -- even though it may not tell me the true state of the transmission.

Then I discovered something puzzling. Next to the engine sprocket is a "pushrod" that sticks out a couple of inches and is activated with the handlebar shift lever. On this transmission I can slide this rod in and out about eight inches. On my other engines, the same rod only moves about 1/2 inch. My first thought is BAD NEWS! Am I right???
                Clutch pushrod 83-86 outer piece is 3.5 inches
                What years this ebgine?

Only bad thing might be someone harvested the clutch or maybe its plates or springs alone.
                Easy to find out pop the cover.

Ok pre 83s had a one piece pushrod.
                It abuts part 15 is there any indication of any sort of resistance?
                Last edited by Cipher; 10-07-2021, 07:24 PM.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow -- I don't see any good diagram of it in any of my three repair manuals. But these transmissions are '77B, '78C, and probably '79E. The only noticeable external difference I have found is the missing kick-starter on the '79E.
                  sigpic
                  '77 GS550B
                  '78 GS550C

Comment

Here's a shot of the "pushrod" I'm talking about -- to the left of the engine sprocket.

sprocket.jpg

It gets pushed in when the shift lever on the handle bar is squeezed. I assume that pushes the clutch away from the transmission -- or vice versa -- dis-engaging the two.

I can slide it in and out about eight inches on this E engine, but on the earlier B & C engines it only slided about 1/2".

It stays in place and it may not be a problem. Maybe if I pull hard on the old engines it will slide out more. Got me.

Anyone think this is a problem? I can manually easily shift it into and out of all six gears without it being pushed in.
                    Last edited by xkaes; 10-08-2021, 11:26 AM.
                    sigpic
                    '77 GS550B
                    '78 GS550C

Comment

Working...
                    X