question about forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
    Whereas, my way: Pull wheel, take off fender. Loosen top triple bolts, loosen fork caps. Loosen lower triple bolts, slide fork tube out. Unscrew fork cap, dump oil, spacers and springs out into bucket. Let forks drain for a bit. Throw a little ATF in the tubes and then pump it back out to flush internals. Refill, measure, reinstall..
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

You two are funny! Well, the second Rich with his meme.

RichD,

you sir have my respect in explaining this process to me. Thank you!

I don’t remember having to do too much cleaning but your way at least allows for loosening of those bolts which are probably tight as all get out…because I’ve never loosened them!

Anyway, education here is always superb from you seasoned motorcycle veterans. Appreciate you!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

forks are fine, just was trying to make sure that the top tube of the fork sits inside the bottom tube about 4 or so inches, it does.

ive filled forks with oil before but it was a mess, when i took off the drain bolt i forgot to drain the pressure and i got sprayed instantly with liquid that had the colour of pencil graphite. been about a year since that, was still having a leaking issue.

adressed it the other day, yes i did screw up by not draining them from the actual drain bolt first but i did find a stupid easy method to drain and refill forks.

get front end suspended in the air, take off the front wheel, take off mudguard, sit those aside, remove forks from triple tree, remove the very bottom bolt of forks that actually hold the top tube in place, drain from there its kinda like a water gun u just pull back and push in causing the oil to be spurt out, and use a funnel and refill the oil from where it came out, tighten bolt back in place (impact is recommended for this bolt they say) and the forks are filled.

so only one bolt from the actual forks themselves need to be removed to just do a drain and refill, not a rebuild.

its been two days, about an hour and a half of riding ( a 22 year old rider aswell) and so far no leaks. now i havent maxed the psi in the forks but honestly im guessing this bike wasnt expecting a 255ib (geared up) rider to be its next owner so the forks arent gonna be as stiff as it would say somebody 50ish pounds less, but im satisfied, and i have to say the more i ride this bike on curvy roads the more nimble i realise it is.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
        X