Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking down a knock on a '78 GS400. Need help getting the cylinder off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be hosing down that gasket crack a few time a day with PB Blaster.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I'd be looking at the parts diagram awfully closely.

meanwhile here's an entertaining video..
      Kawasaki ER5 engine Full Restoration | Kawasaki ER5, KLE, EX500 Engine Restoration in18 minutes

it's a slightly more complicated engine so you should be able to do it in 14.

Kawasaki ER5 engine Full Restoration(500cc) | Kawasaki ER5, KLE, EX500 Engine Restoration

Comment

Update: Success!

Archimedes once said "Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum in which to place it, and I will move the world."

Well I don't know about that, but I know a 3 foot pry bar can crack open a 40 year old cylinder!

I did have one concern that may or may not be anything at all. I noticed that if I grab the main output shaft and wiggle it back and forth I get a little bit of a knock/rattle. It's not super bad or anything and I do have to really jiggle the crap out of it to get it to make noise, but since this whole thing started over a noise investigation and this is right about the area it was the loudest I figured I'd ask if it's normal. Video attached.

There's no resistance or grittiness to the shaft movement. It's very smooth and doesn't seem to make a lot of noise when spun in one direction. But if you move it back and forth there is definitely a sound, but this might just be normal.

Not sure if it's the factory gasket, but it's definitely been here a while.

Pistons are clean and new rings are on, cylinder re-installed.

Waiting on a new thrust bearing and clutch springs tomorrow as well as a valve compressor so I can check/clean those. If everything goes well I'll have her all buttoned up tomorrow night and ready to ride this weekend!
        $100 1978 GS400 Rebuild (Outdated thread, new one soon!).
        - Indicator light diode mod
        - LED underglow kit
        - Aftermarket LED headlight bucket
        - Hex head engine case bolt kit
        - SH775A Reg/Rec upgrade
        - Dynatek Dyna S ignition
        - All Balls taper bearing steering stem mod
        - Dynatek 5ohm ignition coils and NGK caps
        - Custom cafe seat

Comment

Hurray! but looks kind of risky. I hope it is worth it in the end. The cam chain guide looks pretty good. One of mine had cracks in it when revealed and is hard to replace....

A bit of play in gear trains is not unusual.

PS I only hear valves in your uploads. Why not make an mp3* of the noise you hear in the location you hear it? Do not make it too short and do not jerk the microphone all around-find the best spot BEFOREHAND and stay there so people have time to listen closely.Someone may recognize it and save you some time.

* an mp3 =a much faster upload/download, being only the audio

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            Hurray! but looks kind of risky. I hope it is worth it in the end. The cam chain guide looks pretty good. One of mine had cracks in it when revealed and is hard to replace....

A bit of play in gear trains is not unusual.

PS I only hear valves in your uploads. Why not make an mp3* of the noise you hear in the location you hear it? Do not make it too short and do not jerk the microphone all around-find the best spot BEFOREHAND and stay there so people have time to listen closely.Someone may recognize it and save you some time.

* an mp3 =a much faster upload/download, being only the audio
            I use videos so people can see what I'm looking at/manipulating. I know it's easier for me to diagnose things I when I can see them, plus I'm very likely to use a wrong word or describe something poorly being so new to bikes so a video gives people more information. I'll admit I was a bit all over the place on the last one, but my problem isn't play in the shaft. I shouldn't have used the word wiggle. What I mean is when I spin the shaft back and forth like you can see in parts of the video I get a sound that I'm not sure is normal, which wouldn't concern me if it wasn't in the location where the original sound I am investigating was coming from.
            $100 1978 GS400 Rebuild (Outdated thread, new one soon!).
            - Indicator light diode mod
            - LED underglow kit
            - Aftermarket LED headlight bucket
            - Hex head engine case bolt kit
            - SH775A Reg/Rec upgrade
            - Dynatek Dyna S ignition
            - All Balls taper bearing steering stem mod
            - Dynatek 5ohm ignition coils and NGK caps
            - Custom cafe seat

Comment

Working...
            X