Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1983 gs450 cranks & won't start

Quote Originally Posted by Grimly View Post
    105psi should run fine, and if the ring packs are sticking slightly, they'll usually free up with use.
    Only worry about new rings if they dip below 100.
    Heck, I'd only bother once the damn thing simply wouldn't start and a test revealed 70psi or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Just an opinion from a non-mechanic, but I'd say that at 115 on both cylinders, you're good. Spec probably says that 120 is the low limit, but I've also read that 100-105 would be the absolute low service limit. Maybe that's different on the twins, I don't know. New rings certainly won't hurt, I just don't know that this is causing the bike to not even cough when you try to start it.
    Hmm...so that should still be enough compression, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorminrider View Post
    1: How did the rings wear out when you weren't riding it?
    2: did you have the throttle wide open when testing compression?

that is to say, the bike you stopped riding last year is the same bike this year, engine wise. So Something Else has changed: aka gummed, rotted, been "refurbished" or "replaced"
    You're suggesting that the problem is not my engine but one of the newer components? I guess I was looking at it the other way around: since everything else was tended to, the only thing I didn't replace or touch was the engine, I naturally assume it is the engine at fault here.

What else could it be?

Gorminrider is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

If the bike was ok before you "fixed" or "improved" it, and is not ok after, the obvious conclusion is that something was disturbed in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorminrider View Post
    If the bike was ok before you "fixed" or "improved" it, and is not ok after, the obvious conclusion is that something was disturbed in the process.
    The bike already had electrical gremlins and carb issues, plus the tank was rusted, so it all needed to be serviced and replaced or restored.

So I know you are putting fixed in quotes, but everything is far better now than it was when I acquired the bike.

Gorminrider is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Just saying. "fixed", "improved" happens to me all the time. The last thing I 'fixed" is the first place to start.

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ice-Manual-PDF

Try spraying a little starter fluid in the carb while cranking. If it fires up you'll know the carbs are likely to blame. If not, probably electrical.