Sold my 1982 GS650g and missing it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sold my 1982 GS650g and missing it!

I'm really missing my GS650g that I stupidly sold this summer, and I'm having difficulty finding another one.

Anyone know a good place to look? I tried Cycle Trader, but there doesn't seem to be much action there.

Were these more rare than I thought? Anyone know the production numbers?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Not that they were particularly rare, but many have been allowed to fall into disrepair and/or get chopped up.

We had a fair few of them here in Vancouver for awhile, but haven't seen one for sale locally in some time. I do recall someone posting about a plum one they found in the midwest a few weeks or so ago.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I'm surprised it's so difficult to find one. Are they sought after by collectors? Do people just keep theirs?

Comment

Heres on vax up and hit the road.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Sorry confused Michigan with Minnesota yet again
          17 hour to Gatineau

More or less the linked bikes not worth it
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            That kitty has not been house trained. (Look at the floor beneath.)
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Sadly I would make the drive to Ontario to buy that one!

Comment

I'm really starting to regret selling my 2nd GS I ever bought, I held on to it until about a year ago.

I had several kz's and GS's but always figured I'd keep that particular GS.

As times goes on the regret grows .

I sold it because it needed some work and figured my days of spending hours tinkering on an older bike versus having a newer bike that I could just throw on some extras and ride.
                I now wish I'd kept the gs,even if it was only gonna be garage art.

Comment

I had to junk an old European sports car I bought in college a few years afterward. It was rusty and no one wanted it, even for $200! I spent the next several years looking for another, but at some point I got over it.

I don’t know how or why, maybe because the memories were no longer fresh, but somehow it just happened.

I’m in the early stages of that now with my old GS. I told the guy I sold it to FOUR TIMES that if he ever sells it I’d like to buy it back, but I learned this week he sold it to someone else.

And after looking at other bikes I realized that had characteristics I like, like the right seat height, etc., and I’d really like it back.

Comment

Originally posted by streetgs View Post
                    I had to junk an old European sports car I bought in college a few years afterward. It was rusty and no one wanted it, even for $200! I spent the next several years looking for another, but at some point I got over it.

I don’t know how or why, maybe because the memories were no longer fresh, but somehow it just happened.

I’m in the early stages of that now with my old GS. I told the guy I sold it to FOUR TIMES that if he ever sells it I’d like to buy it back, but I learned this week he sold it to someone else.

And after looking at other bikes I realized that had characteristics I like, like the right seat height, etc., and I’d really like it back.
                    Lol, I don't think I'll ever get over that particular GS I had, it needed minor repairs when I got it and the motor had been rebuild by a guy that built Suzuki motors for micro midgets in the 80s & early 90s.

It needed forks redone and some electrical work , the last two or three years I hardly rode it, I would fire it up from time to time.
                    I had newer bikes so I sold it.
                    Recently I've sold all my "toys" sold three remaining motorcycles, a old four wheeler and a side by side.
                    Don't miss any of them...cept the ole GS I sold over a year ago....always will.
                    It was one of a kind, never be another one like it for me.
                    It shouldn't have been a conformable ride, but it was!

Longest ride I had it on was a 750 mile weekend, but it was better on my body than some of the cruisers I've rode on a 350 mile ride?

Oh well, it's in the past now .

Comment

My old roommate from college called a few weeks ago and told me he forgives me for selling my '68 Camaro 39 years ago. He told me it was time for me to forgive myself.

True story.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

There really is something special about these bikes. I'm pretty infatuated with mine. I literally have to touch it or at least look at it longingly every time I go in the garage.

I'm not gonna lie, I considered selling my 400 because it's got some kind of rattle going on in the lower end. But I just love the thing. The way it looks is so clean even though mine is pretty ratty, the size is absolutely perfect for me, it's not too loud even with dual pipes, it's got just enough power to be fun but not kill me. I love it. Plus it turns out even if I had to rebuild the entire bottom end I'd be out like $400 and that's assuming nothing is salvageable, which I know isn't true. There may be nothing but a sloppy bearing. But I figure it's worth the experience to get in there and figure out what the issue is myself. Plus I'm knee deep in sunk-cost fallacy so at this point I'll probably be buried with this bike.

I have no doubt I'd be full of regret already if I had decided to get rid of it.
                        $100 1978 GS400 Rebuild (Outdated thread, new one soon!).
                        - Indicator light diode mod
                        - LED underglow kit
                        - Aftermarket LED headlight bucket
                        - Hex head engine case bolt kit
                        - SH775A Reg/Rec upgrade
                        - Dynatek Dyna S ignition
                        - All Balls taper bearing steering stem mod
                        - Dynatek 5ohm ignition coils and NGK caps
                        - Custom cafe seat

Comment

Originally posted by ItsBork View Post
                          There really is something special about these bikes. I'm pretty infatuated with mine. I literally have to touch it or at least look at it longingly every time I go in the garage.
                          Seriously, I would sit on mine and pretend I was riding. I've had cars I just look at from the window.

Originally posted by ItsBork View Post
                          I have no doubt I'd be full of regret already if I had decided to get rid of it.
                          This thread has quickly become a thread of regrets! Learn from our mistakes.

I don't know why, but some motorcycles and cars are just special to us. And I've had a lot of both, but I've only regretted selling a few...

Comment

ItsBork, I saw what you started with & what it is now, you did great. If you could find a good frame & get it all back as it should... it's amazing how proud you should be...Just my opinion.
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The 650s are great. I'd like to have one some day. I think they've always lived in the shadows of the 850 and 1000, which is probably why they're not easy to find. They're not as well known and usually don't sell for much, so my theory is that when they do come up for sale, the choppers and bobbers and modders snap usually snap them up for cheap.
                              Charles
                              --
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X