No announcement yet.

Sold my 1982 GS650g and missing it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a GS650GL this summer and love it (Rust-o-mod in projects forum). It's a great bike to cruise the back roads on because of its size. Big enough for my tall frame with a flattened seat. Best of all, enough power and nimble enough to have a lot of fun.
    81 GS650GL

Comment

Originally posted by streetgs View Post
      I'm surprised it's so difficult to find one. Are they sought after by collectors? Do people just keep theirs?
      I found mine by posting a wanted ad on Kijiji. I found three for sale and test road all of them before choosing the best one. Cost me $900 Canadian, plus $1,000 for new tires, brake hoses, rear shocks and r/r replacement.

The GS650G was only produced for two or three years so total global production was probably only 10,000 or so units. I’d bet 95% of these have been scrapped.
      1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

How many miles were on the ones you test drove? I was able to find one three hours away, but it has 30k and the seller wants $1000. It runs and drives but it’ll need a few things, plus the frame has a rust spot or two.

Strangely I see plenty of GS650L and GS850G models. Neither are what I’m looking for, the 850 isn’t as nimble (I had one 15 years ago!).

Comment

How many miles were on the ones you test drove? I was able to find one three hours away, but it has 30k and the seller wants $1000. It runs and drives but it’ll need a few things, plus the frame has a rust spot or two.

Strangely I see plenty of GS650L and GS850G models. Neither are what I’m looking for, the 850 isn’t as nimble (I had one 15 years ago!).
          The one I bought in April 2018 had 30,000 km, and now it has closer to 50,000 km. The other two had higher km.

The biggest challenge is finding a GS650G that doesn’t have rusted out exhausts. My bike has slip ons, so some previous owner sawed off the originals.
          1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
            The one I bought in April 2018 had 30,000 km, and now it has closer to 50,000 km. The other two had higher km.

The biggest challenge is finding a GS650G that doesn’t have rusted out exhausts. My bike has slip ons, so some previous owner sawed off the originals.
            Is the exhaust on these difficult to find? This one has odd side-exit pipes that seem to be mated to the original engine exhaust pipes. Plus those pipes need polishing because they’re purplish.

im thinking I can just saw the ends of those off and make them exit straight, however.

Comment

Is the exhaust on these difficult to find?
              Yes, essentially unobtainable. You’ll find eBay offers from junked, parted out bikes but they’ll be rusty and damaged. MAC is the only brand that sells new complete exhaust sets for the GS650 but they’re turnouts and reportedly thin and poor quality.

1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

I’ll likely sell my 1982 GS650G in the spring of 2023. By then I’ll have five years of riding and will be close to 60,000 km. I’m burning about 1L of oil every 1,000 km now, so this won’t get any better without a rebuild. From 2006 to 2018 I owned a 1969 Triumph T100S and now realize I kept it much too long, and spent way too much on maintenance and rebuilds. Knowing when to walk away is what Kenny Rogers tried to remind us. If the oil burn gets worse I’ll likely give the bike away to someone in my vintage bike club.

In Spring 2023 I’ll be 52 years old and will reward myself either with a new Triumph Bonneville or Moto Guzzi V7. I like the latter’s GS650G-like shaft drive, though it needs a fuel gauge.
                1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                  Yes, essentially unobtainable. You’ll find eBay offers from junked, parted out bikes but they’ll be rusty and damaged. MAC is the only brand that sells new complete exhaust sets for the GS650 but they’re turnouts and reportedly thin and poor quality.

https://www.shoputahharley.com/produ...t-o-gs650-81-3
                  What about exhausts from a GS650L? I see plenty of those.

And maybe I should be specific, I'd think the exhaust pipes are difficult to find, but the "muffler" part might be more difficult, although wouldn't any straight units with the same diameter fit?

Comment

[QUOTE= I like the latter’s GS650G-like shaft drive, though it needs a fuel gauge.[/QUOTE]

Curious about your thoughts or anyone else's thoughts about the difference between these and a GS850g. I see lots of those for sale, maybe more people kept them because they're faster, but to me they're too heavy and less easy to ride (I had one 15 years ago).

Comment

There's a decent looking 650G on Marketplace in Portland, Or
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        There's a decent looking 650G on Marketplace in Portland, Or
                        Could you please share a link? Marketplace is so user unfriendly.

Comment

streetgs, I hope that you can locate a suitable GS650G. There's a bit more I want to do to mine as I ride it. I wore out a set of Bridgestones in a year and a half. I recently put a new rear BT46 on it and have a new Avon RR II to go on the front. I'll likely have to give up mine next year sometime due to the no longer deniable age of me.

FYI, MAC exhaust is completely out of business and the few GS650G applications left that were out at parts dealers and ebay sellers are gone. It's used only now. I have a semi ratty MAC 4 into 1 header. I couldn't stand the MAC megaphone that was on it, even with their street baffle. So I bought a 15 degree bend section and mounted a long reverse cone with quieter baffle on it. Not so easy to find 2.5 inch ID mufflers, which is the outlet size on the MAC.
                          1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

What about exhausts from a GS650L? I see plenty of those.
                            The complete exhaust is different, the bolt down points are in different locations. That MAC system claims to work for both the G and GL because the attaching points are adjustible.
                            wouldn't any straight units with the same diameter fit?
                            I have these installed, upswept, not straight to better clear the rear.
                            Last edited by Admiral Beez; 10-28-2021, 08:42 AM.
                            1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Curious about your thoughts or anyone else's thoughts about the difference between these and a GS850g. I see lots of those for sale, maybe more people kept them because they're faster, but to me they're too heavy and less easy to ride (I had one 15 years ago).
                              They're totally different bikes. The GS650G's takeoff for the drive shaft is linked directly with the top gear, reducing gear change shock. As I understand it the GS850G shared the same heavy frame as the GS1000G. The GS650G is much lighter, and with 70 hp is more than powerful enough for my long distance rides.

Here's a good article on the GS650G from August 1981 that explains the drive shaft to top gear linkage, and more http://www.yeoldecycleshoppe.com/roa...rary/tag/gs650
                              Last edited by Admiral Beez; 10-28-2021, 11:19 AM.
                              1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by hank2 View Post
                                streetgs, I hope that you can locate a suitable GS650G. There's a bit more I want to do to mine as I ride it. I wore out a set of Bridgestones in a year and a half. I recently put a new rear BT46 on it and have a new Avon RR II to go on the front. I'll likely have to give up mine next year sometime due to the no longer deniable age of me.

FYI, MAC exhaust is completely out of business and the few GS650G applications left that were out at parts dealers and ebay sellers are gone. It's used only now. I have a semi ratty MAC 4 into 1 header. I couldn't stand the MAC megaphone that was on it, even with their street baffle. So I bought a 15 degree bend section and mounted a long reverse cone with quieter baffle on it. Not so easy to find 2.5 inch ID mufflers, which is the outlet size on the MAC.
                                Here’s a source from France, https://www.pieces-moto-kristen.fr/e...g__c21643.html
                                1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Working...
                                X