Just got back from five days in San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got back from five days in San Diego

I hadn't been on a beach without students since 2018, so staying right on Ocean Beach was fantastic. Within 2 miles of three great breweries and less than that to myriad excellent eateries.

I hit the beach as soon as I rolled in on Sunday, then met a friend who just retired after 29 years as a naval officer. We had a fresh caught fish dinner and then wandered next door to Eppig for beers.

The next day, I headed out on a whale watching boat. It's too early for the Grays, but they had seen a Minke the day before. We didn't see any big whales, but did end up in a superpod of 2-300 shortbeak dolphins, which was fantastic.

On Tuesday, I went for a nice swim in the Pacific, then hung out on the beach before meeting my buddy at Ocean Beach Brewing for dinner and beers, then wandering over to Pizza Port before saying farewells.

Yesterday I drove up to the Birch Aquarium, which I hadn't visited in 20 years. Afterwards, I headed up to Torrey Pines and watched the gliders trying to take off (the winds were not being kind). I walked to the beach and wandered it at night.

Today, I got up early, wandered to the beach at 6 am and said goodbye. Just got home after a mellow drive with a food break in Yuma.

I have to say, traffic in San Diego is no worse than in Phoenix, and the drivers are more considerate there than here. In addition, people smile more in San Diego, say hi and just generally seem more decent. I was born in L.A., and could never live there, but if money were no object, I'd spend summers in San Diego.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

No issues & enjoyed the trip. Good to hear both were covered.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Sounds like you had a blast. I miss going to the beach.

Comment

It had been too long. As little kids, we went to Santa Monica Beach all the time, and even when we moved to Cleveland, we were at Lake Erie a couple times a month. I love the desert, and I love Arizona's diverse scenery, but there is nothing like the ocean.
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Where I went to visit daughter over 3 years (Nimitz & Point Loma) is just across street from ocean beach city limits.

Sounds like you enjoyed your time there. Thanks for reporting.

Sounds like no mo’cykl riding. Some great roads outside of town (well, 20 miles out of town).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Where I went to visit daughter over 3 years (Nimitz & Point Loma) is just across street from ocean beach city limits.

Sounds like you enjoyed your time there. Thanks for reporting.

Sounds like no mo’cykl riding. Some great roads outside of town (well, 20 miles out of town).
            Nope, didn't take the bike. I wanted to be able to pack food as well as clothes and not worry about weather. It rained twice while I was there, and there was a spectacular lightning show one night. It's a great place to visit, and if I could, I'd spend most of my summers there.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

We got that light show here too... it's not normal
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
              X