No announcement yet.

82 GS750e Rear Wheel Bearings Keep Failing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes the inner spacer is a different length. I have seen that when I changed out bearings on a GS750ES wheel & put bigger bearings in to make it fit the Skunk. The inner spacer is not tight against the bearing and they should rotate freely.

The other thing I would be checking is your rear brake setup. The fact that it's that side every time says that possibly your brake is binding and pushing a lot of heat into that bearing.. just a thought.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Sometimes the inner spacer is a different length. I have seen that when I changed out bearings on a GS750ES wheel & put bigger bearings in to make it fit the Skunk. The inner spacer is not tight against the bearing and they should rotate freely.

The other thing I would be checking is your rear brake setup. The fact that it's that side every time says that possibly your brake is binding and pushing a lot of heat into that bearing.. just a thought.
      Oh, those are some good points. I'll take a look, thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

Just an update. Turned out the PO had put the wrong inner spacer in that wheel. I was able to get the correct one and the latest bearings held with no issues.

That said, rather than worry about other mods the PO may have made that I am unaware of, I bought a stock rear wheel for this bike, which is 18” not 17” like I erroneously said before, and made sure I had new OEM spacers for the entire assembly inner and outer.

I figure restoring everything to stock and getting it in perfect working order is both safer and easier than trying to troubleshoot with incomplete information should there be any in the future.

Thanks again to everybody who gave their input and help. I really appreciate y’all!

Comment

Glad you got it sorted!
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

+1 Victory!!!!!
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Man, I just love a happy ending!

Woohoo!
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

That damned PO struck again!
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X