X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooler bits leaking

6278F0FA-5CBB-417E-98AD-77CB810E95BF.jpg

apologies for the sideways pic
    I’ve been trying to tighten up these fittings to my 1100E oil cooler for a while now, they keep leaking slowly.

I didn’t install the cooler, any idea where these fittings can be obtained for replacement? The oil seeps out of the topmost junction, but also may be slowly leaking from others as well. Last time I took it apart to replace the oil hose (~2 months ago), I cleaned and inspected the fittings, and it was leak free for a few weeks, but has started to seep again. Very small but annoying and somewhat messy.

any input appreciated!
    thanks
    81 gs1100E
    81 gs550
    74 xlch 1000 custom
    03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
    76 honda cj360
    72 honda cl350
    2 green parrots

The union on the cooler itself will likely be an AN fitting. Best to ditch the adaptors and get a simple AN to *whatever* sized bore pipe it is.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Agreed, that is a sketchy looking install. Also, if you're not aware, unless an 1150 oil filter cover is in place the cooler will have minimal effect. The 1150 cover has a built in restriction to push oil into the cooler lines.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Still trying to sort this out… the cooler’s unions aren’t typical AN fittings, and I can’t figure out how to identify the fitting type.

looking to perhaps just replace the damn thing. I have a Jagg oil cooler thermostat ready to go, I ordered an AN 10 fitting pair , but it doesn’t mate up to my cooler.

any recommendations for a replacement cooler?

this is the cooler fitting, if anyone could ID that…
        81 gs1100E
        81 gs550
        74 xlch 1000 custom
        03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
        76 honda cj360
        72 honda cl350
        2 green parrots

Comment

Sorry Pic attached this time
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          81 gs1100E
          81 gs550
          74 xlch 1000 custom
          03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
          76 honda cj360
          72 honda cl350
          2 green parrots

Comment

The brass fittings look like gas pipe ones which are probably threaded BSP. British standard pipe thread. The threads onto the cooler are probably metric.
            Where's it leaking from ? If it's the cooler fittings, given where you are, I'd get them professionally replaced with AN ones which will be much more common in the US.

If those are BSP fittings on the lines, where did they come from ? Are they common in maybe Canada ? Here in NZ, we still see a lot of them as they're available over the counter still.

Comment

its leaking from the union itself. it drips from beneath the captive nut. must not be achieving a great seal on the mating surfaces. ive tried really wrenching it, still leaks once the engine is running.

wonder how one goes about replacing the fitting with an AN system. i'd prefer to do that instead of ditching the whole cooler, but it seems like the male threads on the cooler are integral to the cooler body. there's a hex above the threads, but it all seems cast together.

searching BSP oil cooler fittings, i found this.... looks to be the right thing. but now that i'm thinking on it more, if i get this and it still leaks, it means the cooler itself has the damaged mating surface, and it will be "get a new cooler" time anyways.
              Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Mocal Oil Cooler Straight 1/2 Inch BSP Oil Line 100R6 Hose Push On Fittings ADV at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
              81 gs1100E
              81 gs550
              74 xlch 1000 custom
              03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
              76 honda cj360
              72 honda cl350
              2 green parrots

Comment

So it appears to be leaking from the male/female tapers visible in your pic ? It appears to me that there's a ridge been impressed into the male taper where it overlaps the center hole. Not a lot you can do about that except find another male taper piece. It may be possible to take the cooler and lines in to a hydraulic fitting shop and have new lines made. They may well have a suitable male taper piece available - and the OE nut can be reused.

Comment

I agree with the above conclusion. Take the oil cooler off, and bring it with you so they can set you up with what you need. Do the same thing to both sides.

Comment

80 bucks got me sorted out with a new cooler from Summit and two AN-8 45 degree fittings that will make hose routing easier between the headers.
                    hate to buy parts for the sake of buying parts, but it's been leaky and holding on for too long now. hopefully this will bring an end to oil on the front of my engine
                    81 gs1100E
                    81 gs550
                    74 xlch 1000 custom
                    03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
                    76 honda cj360
                    72 honda cl350
                    2 green parrots

Comment

ok so the Summit one was 13" wide which seemed ok on the tape measure but was ridiculous when i held the actual part up to the engine.
                      so i returned it.

went full Chineseium on it, found a decent sized one on Amazon ($45) with hose fittings and connecting hardware.

It says it's for a 125-250cc machine, but my impression was that it was maybe a bit large for my 1100... which is to say it was larger than i expected, but i think it will be great for the summer. re-fashioned the mounting bracket, plumbed it up last night, no leaks, i'm sorted! it's rubber mounted which is great. Im running an oil thermostat to make sure the engine warms up before circulating the oil thru the cooler, so being potentially oversize on the cooler itself isn't really much of an issue.

was a bit worried about routing the lines through the headers, but it worked out great. Was thinking that there is probably some SS braided sheathed oil hose out there somewhere that would be good to use for insurance.
                      Last edited by CincinnatiKid; 04-20-2023, 12:59 PM. Reason: link edit
                      81 gs1100E
                      81 gs550
                      74 xlch 1000 custom
                      03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
                      76 honda cj360
                      72 honda cl350
                      2 green parrots

Comment

this is the cooler i bought
                        81 gs1100E
                        81 gs550
                        74 xlch 1000 custom