GS550 front fork oil seal replacemnt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 front fork oil seal replacemnt

It looks like I finally need to replace the front oil seals. I've never done this before, but it looks straightforward in the OEM service manual.

BUT it shows the use of several special tools, such as the oil seal remover and the oil seal installer.

Can the job be done without these tools? Can they be fabricated? Obtained inexpensively?

In the meantime, I'll do a search of this FORUM since it probably has been discussed a million times.
    sigpic
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
    It looks like I finally need to replace the front oil seals. I've never done this before, but it looks straightforward in the OEM service manual.

BUT it shows the use of several special tools, such as the oil seal remover and the oil seal installer.

Can the job be done without these tools? Can they be fabricated? Obtained inexpensively?

In the meantime, I'll do a search of this FORUM since it probably has been discussed a million times.
    Two years later and Im in the same situation..except a gs750..did you get the info you needed about the custom tools?

Comment

Originally posted by Hiccup View Post

Two years later and Im in the same situation..except a gs750..did you get the info you needed about the custom tools?
      Hi Hiccup, I am sure others here will have help for you regarding fork seal replacement. Not a difficult job and special tools are not needed although making some tools do make the job easier and also reduce the chance of damage to the new seals and fork seal housing however, changing the seals can be done with basic tools. I replaced a set of fork seals last week and posted images of the three tools I made and use when replacing fork seals.

The images are in "Projects Rebuilds" "1981 GSX1100 Katana Based Project" page 15.

The three tools are:

19mm hex drive tee handle to secure the damper rod while removing the allen bolt from the bottom of the fork. Some use a wooden broom handle instead. I don't know if the GS750 damper rod has a 19mm socket but I suspect Suzuki didn't change the damper rod back then.

Shape a steel rod with a profile that will not damage the fork seal housing. Screwdriver will do the job, be careful.

A pipe made into a seal drift. Some use a socket or a bearing shell, anything that fits the seal O.D. should work.

Cheers.
      Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 10-29-2023, 09:55 PM.
      Shin-Ken 1074
      1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
      1981 GSX1150 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight = 206 kg.

Comment

If you have the front fork disassembled, if you take a hobby burner and heat up the oil seal, it will be very easy to remove with a little nudge from a screwdriver.
        That way you are sure not to damage the fork legs with prying tools.

Mounting the new oil seal can be done without special tools : place the old oil seal on top of the new one (put a bit of fork oil on the outside of the new oil seal) and slowly drive it in, tapping in a circular motion.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Working...
        X