1983 GS1100E project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100E project

So I bought this bike about 20 or so years ago from a crazy brit who was living in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. I took the train down from Seattle and rode it back home (this ended up taking much longer and being more of an adventure than I planned but makes a great story to tell over beers or around a campfire these days). It was my daily rider for some years (I didn't own a car back then) and I did my first Iron Butt ride on it (A "Bun Burner 1500"). She started showing signs of age and wear. There was an gradually worsening oil leak and a disturbing clunk from time to time. At some point, I don't remember exactly when, I parked her with the intent of one day trying to tear her down and if not repair, at least figure out where the noise was coming from. I partially stripped her and put many of the parts into storage bins in the garage and there she has sat, a rolling chassis with a motor, waiting for my ambition and resolve to overcome my anxiety.

A couple weeks ago, I finally pushed her up on the bench and have started the process.
    gs1100e bench.jpg

I used to be a member and regularly follow this forum and I'm hoping that I will be able to find some support here (moral and possibly technical) as I get in up to my eyeballs and hopefully not over my head.

Welcome Back
    A worthy project for sure.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome! We love the 1100E, (at least I do)

And what's that tucked away on the left??
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Welcome. A well abused 83 1100e is what got me hooked on big old Suzukis back in the 90s.
        The 82-3 1100e bikes are among my favorite Suzukis.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

And what's that tucked away on the left??
          Tucked away to the left is the first motorcycle I ever owned . A 1974 Yamaha RD200A. That one was apart in milk crates for a number of years too.

Comment

It looks like this.
            RD200A- out.jpg

Comment

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I was hoping for the RD400. Still, wow and wow. May we see if you have the blue or (faster) red 11E?
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                  May we see if you have the blue or (faster) red 11E?
                  LOL, no it is the red one. I'll find a pic or two from her glory days to share.

Comment

It's about time you got started on that thing. What kind of disturbing clunk, the GS1100E shouldn't do that. Welcome back & remember we're keeping an eye on the progress. And contrary to what Rob thinks, you could easily make it a little faster if you just paint it the orig. blue, the blue was always faster.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome back to the site.
                      Love the RD.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like racerxnico.

Going to see if this works

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                          What kind of disturbing clunk, the GS1100E shouldn't do that.
                          I have enough of the motor apart that I think I know where the clunk was coming from (if not the why) and plan to make a post or series of posts if my dumb-a%^ can figure out how to do pictures (other than thumbnails). Was just trying to use imgur, and i can get a link, but not anything that looks like what I saw in "how to" post. I'll ask for you to bear with me as I figure this out.

Comment

Hey, I'm getting smarter! or at least i figured one thing out. This is "volito" in her glory days

Comment

Welcome back
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X