No announcement yet.

1983 GS1100E project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, as mentioned, I put it up on the work bench a few weeks ago. In the time since, I have been removing as many of the motor parts as I can to make it lighter and facilitate removing it from the frame. There have been a few complications so far. One of the cam cap bolts broke off below the surface of the head. I think it must have been broken before I started working as I just unscrewed the bolt. Didn't realize it was broken until I noticed that it was shorter than the others. It was in the locator tube in the lower right of the pic below (correction - this isn't the right pic - should have been from other side, but you get the idea).

I used a spring loaded punch tool to divot the top. Then I used an extra drill bit to increase the divot and give myself matching faces and used JB weld to bond the bit to the bolt. It was just strong enough.

The next problem was the head bolt on the exhaust side between the NO 1 and 2 cylinders. It was completely locked and rounded off when I tried to loosen. (center left in pic below)

After failing to find a nut extractor that would fit, I had to resort to a painstaking process of using a flex shaft extension on a dremel and alternate between a ball and side cutter bit to machine enough of the bolt away to get it off.

successfully removed head.

Have to go work for a bit, but will try to post again a bit later with next problem and suspected source of the "clunk".
    Last edited by racerxnico; 10-14-2021, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Progress!

(And photos!)
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Awaiting the "clunk", looks like we should be getting nearer.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

the clunk?

When inspecting my starter clutch I was surprised to find that two out of the three spring loaded pistons wouldn't come out of their respective recesses (bores) and the third wasn't doing its job (the spring had collapsed enough that it wouldn't actually push against the metal cylinder (roller).

It appears that the rollers had hammered into the metal around the recess enough times with enough force to deform it a bit and even crack it creating small edges that the shoulder on the pistons couldn't get by. I had to use the trusty dremel with flex shaft and ball cutter, while holding the piston down, to machine back the edge to get the pistons out.

eventually I was able to free them (you can see one out here and one still stuck in its bore).

While studying the part, I also noticed, aligned with the bottom of the bore, some deformations on the piece of metal that wraps the solid part. It looks like the pistons slapped back hard enough to dent the case (similar deformation aligned with all three bores).

The first thing I want to do is confirm that this should be a smooth round part with no "bump out" aligned with the bores. Does anyone have one they can look at? I was surprised (lucky?) the bike never gave me any starting issues. So this evidence looks like it aligns with the sound I was hearing (I hope I don't find other evidence of hammering further in, but who knows). My best guess at this point is that it was maybe a carburation issue that was causing it to maybe want to back fire or miss (shrug, not really sure if that makes sense) or possibly cam chain issue? Something that was making the crank want to rotate the wrong way for a millisecond, grab the starter clutch rollers and throw them back. Again, shrug. I would love to hear any theories, because what I've found certainly looks more like a symptom than a cause.

Oh, also, I am a combination of poor and cheap and reluctant to spend $180 on a new starter clutch. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a cheaper replacement option while I rebuild. If none come along, I'm going to try and reuse this one (it was starting fine before parked) with some new pistons, springs and shim (rollers seem fine). If it does end up giving me grief down the road it isn't so difficult to get to and replace later.

Comment

I'd not seen this on a Suzuki, nor heard the clunk. A buddy has a CB1100F Honda & several yrs. back it started giving trouble starting. Starter would spin but didn't want to engage the crankshaft. Hit the button several times & it would finally start but getting worse. The Honda was about the same as the Suzuki set up. We got it apart & all looked good except the springs were all distorted, looked like they had been binding in the little slots & also they were about to push thru the outside of the hub. Bad cracks & hump where they were almost pushed thru. His rollers & little pistons were fine, just the springs & hub. New springs & a good hub from ebay & all has been good since. His never clunked, just had trouble engaging the crank. Glad you found it.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

What is odd is that I never had a problem starting. It still grabbed and spun the crank just fine. I would never get the clunk at speed, but I would get it sometimes stopped at idle with the clutch pulled in and sometimes at lower revs in lower gears. Still very confused about what would cause it to do this. Thanks for the additional pieces of info.

Comment

The search here is broked, but something will come up regarding 1100s and their starting clutches. They were notorious for kickback on starting if the battery and ignition wasn't perfect and it wasn't a sunny day in San Diego.
                Some went so far as to install an ignition retarder for starting, which seemed to cure it once and for all.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I have seen this starter clutch problem many
                  times.

Here's a good read on "The Clang"
                  https://www.theflyingbanana.com/starterclutch.htm
                  Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Good looking project

You should post this in the Projects forum
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      The search here is broked, but something will come up regarding 1100s and their starting clutches. They were notorious for kickback on starting if the battery and ignition wasn't perfect and it wasn't a sunny day in San Diego.
                      Some went so far as to install an ignition retarder for starting, which seemed to cure it once and for all.
                      Good to know. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        Good looking project

You should post this in the Projects forum
                        Yeah, I was thinking that. Wondering if there is a good way to migrate the thread or reference this one once I start posting there.

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                          I have seen this starter clutch problem many
                          times.

Here's a good read on "The Clang"
                          https://www.theflyingbanana.com/starterclutch.htm
                          Very informative. Many thanks. Still curious about the fact that I wouldn't get it at starting, but once the bike was running. it does back up my theory that somehow the crank shaft was trying to rotate the wrong way and throwing the rollers back. Once I've got it back together (God willing), I'll make sure to confirm timing, cam chain tension, blueprinted carbs, and see if I still get it. At least if I do, I'll know where it is coming from and can trouble shoot from there.

Comment

Working...
                          X