Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JIS Screwdrivers recommendation?

Two questions-
    anyone have an Amazon link to JIS screwdrivers? I’m finding sets but they’re all + heads when I need slotted for the carbs.

other than Amazon, can anyone recommend a brand? I’m tired of waiting on parts and I’m not sure if a local auto place or home improvement store would have these
    Main lady- 2009 Nightster 1200
    Project Lady- 1982 GS650 G

Get yourself some cheap ol Craftsman screwdrivers and use your bench grinder to dress the flat tip so it's a tight fit into the slots of the screws you are trying to remove. In the carb restore guide linked in my signature it shows some of the important details. And if you don't have a bench grinder, now is a good time.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I needed for impact driver to get the case covers off so I got these. I use with a socket on a quarter inch drive socket screwdriver with a socket also, and it's a relatively frugal solution that works for me.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

A bit expensive, these are really good quality and come JIS and flat best I've had, mega grip and do not slip if the screw head is in good shape. Available on Amazon the ebay link is for illustration only.

Vessel 930 Megadora +2x100 (JIS) Screwdriver 930-2-100 from Japan | eBay
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Vessel, made in Japan or Wera, German product usually made in Czech Republic, excellent screwdrivers.

This set has the 4mm driver which fits the pilot jets which is the one that usually gets stuck.

David.
          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

I have Vessel and love them. Quality is top-notch.

Comment

There’s a member here who sells some at a great price. Can’t remember his name right at the moment but just do a titles only search for JIS screwdrivers

I did it for you - https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...iver-sets-soon
              Last edited by cowboyup3371; 10-19-2021, 07:11 AM.
              sigpic
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                There’s a member here who sells some at a great price. Can’t remember his name right at the moment but just do a titles only search for JIS screwdrivers

I did it for you - https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...iver-sets-soon
                Indeed. Get the bit set. All round usage! and they fit your standard multi-screw driver everyone has OR an impact driver if you "mod down" to their size with your standard socket set's adapters. ('though I actually have a small impact driver that suits them)

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  Indeed. Get the bit set. All round usage! and they fit your standard multi-screw driver everyone has OR an impact driver if you "mod down" to their size with your standard socket set's adapters. ('though I actually have a small impact driver that suits them)
                  And Im guessing precision screwdrivers, like Husky or Klein etc could potential strip out the screws? I might give that a shot first. That stupid pilot jet just does not want to budge. Or the air fuel screw (probably not the correct name)

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcvicious View Post
                    And Im guessing precision screwdrivers, like Husky or Klein etc could potential strip out the screws? I might give that a shot first. That stupid pilot jet just does not want to budge. Or the air fuel screw (probably not the correct name)
                    Maybe, but I'd take Ed Ness's advice, post #2 of this thread.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I would, but I resent my beloved craftsmans tools being called cheap HAAHAH. (jokes jokes)

Comment

The important thing is to get a screwdriver that fits the slot precisely w/ no slop. Maybe take one of the screws you were able to remove with you to the hardware store.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Those are slot head aren't they? in that case Something quality that fits tight without a lot of taper..concave even. The kit I mentioned is for JIS cross-heads I don't think Japan Industrial Standard covers slot head.

Comment

I bought a set of four Vessel JIS impact bits from Japan. Absolutely brilliant, top notch quality and have already paid for themselves in time and damage reduction. After struggling with Phillips form bits for years, all I can say is the difference in fit is night and day. The JIS standard form even grips little screws like M4, removing without rounding out.
                            I also bought some Seeley JIS screwdrivers. Ok, they work, just not the quality of Vessel.
                            Good tools will pay you back.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Two questions-
                              anyone have an Amazon link to JIS screwdrivers? I’m finding sets but they’re all + heads when I need slotted for the carbs.
                              ?? JIS screws are crosshead, JIS and slot are inherently different animals.

other than Amazon, can anyone recommend a brand? I’m tired of waiting on parts and I’m not sure if a local auto place or home improvement store would have these
                              I get my JIS stuff from McMaster-Carr.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

And I'll disagree with Nessism on grinding the tip of Phillips. That does help, but it's still not as good as a real JIS tip. On stuck screws that difference can matter.
                              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Working...
                              X