JIS Screwdrivers recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post

And I'll disagree with Nessism on grinding the tip of Phillips. That does help, but it's still not as good as a real JIS tip. On stuck screws that difference can matter.
    I never advocated grinding a phillips head screwdriver, my comment is about Sarvicious's request for slot screwdrivers. More specifically, the pilot jets and pilot screws have slots that can strip out if the blade screwdriver being used doesn't fit the slot tightly. I'm unaware of any off the shelf screwdriver that will fit the slot of these screws tightly, so custom griding is almost a requirement.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      I never advocated grinding a phillips head screwdriver, my comment is about Sarvicious's request for slot screwdrivers. More specifically, the pilot jets and pilot screws have slots that can strip out if the blade screwdriver being used doesn't fit the slot tightly. I'm unaware of any off the shelf screwdriver that will fit the slot of these screws tightly, so custom griding is almost a requirement.
      Ahh, sorry, I misunderstood. Agree with that 100%.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

As far as slotted screwdrivers, "gunsmithing" screwdrivers are a term to look for; they're high quality, hollow ground, strong, and come in a wide assortment of sizes, many in the straight blade configuration needed, rather than the woodworking type that get wider above the tip and won't go down into holes.

That said, when working on carburetors I just get out all my slotted screwdrivers and keep trying until I find the one that fits correctly. I have a cheap generic multi-shank screwdriver that for some reason has been the winner several times. I think I stole it from my Dad when I was 18 or so.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcvicious View Post
          Two questions-
          anyone have an Amazon link to JIS screwdrivers? I’m finding sets but they’re all + heads when I need slotted for the carbs.

other than Amazon, can anyone recommend a brand? I’m tired of waiting on parts and I’m not sure if a local auto place or home improvement store would have these
          I'd recommend this set:

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Same set i bought and am happy with the purchase.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Vessel and you'll never be unhappy

Comment

Dang, $15 ea. for screwdrivers, I never imagined there were screwdrivers that expensive.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  Dang, $15 ea. for screwdrivers, I never imagined there were screwdrivers that expensive.
                  It’s not 1979 anymore.
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

That's a nice set! Includes bottle opener.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Bottle opener??, dang it ain't 1979 anymore
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        Bottle opener??, dang it ain't 1979 anymore
                        If you drink good beer, you need a bottle opener. Ain't no twist tops on the good stuff.
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                          If you drink good beer, you need a bottle opener. Ain't no twist tops on the good stuff.
                          True that!

I mean, that is a fact. lol

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I live a pretty sheltered life, thought all bottles had twist-off's & screwdrivers $15 per set, not ea...Yep 1979 was a long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X