Foggy headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foggy headlight

My headlight glass lens is foggy on the inside. I seem to remember trying to clean one with alcohol before and it didn't come out well. Has anyone cleaned theirs and what did you use? Any tips? Thanks.
    Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
    2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Honda 250 Rebel
    1984 Honda Nighthawk S CB700SC
    1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Mine is silvered on the inner surface of the reflector. Kike an SLR mirror. Take care as its easy to damage
    If use room temp distilled water swish and drain.
    Invert so bulb hole is on top an give time to dry
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Yep, you can't touch the silver bit; it's pretty delicate. And try not to get any liquids on it.

I've used a small piece of cloth soaked in a bit of alcohol, then used chopsticks to swab the clear glass. Keep changing the cloth until things are clean. Gun cleaning patches are about the right size if you have any.

My Dad was stationed in Okinawa in the Air Force, so he taught me to use chopsticks very early in life... if you don't have the same advantage, then you'll need some other method of securing and manipulating the cloth pieces.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I'm dangerous with chopsticks but you gave me an idea. I think I have some hemostats somewhere and I'll give those a shot.
        Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Honda 250 Rebel
        1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

I used a hemostat and a gun cleaning patch. It made quite the difference! I didn't think that it was that foggy. Since bwringer said not to get any fluids on the reflector I didn't try to get any fluids on it to clean it. It's tempting now. I would but it sure is hard to find a replacement in case it gets messed up. Seems that they are LED, sealed beam, or have a metal tab that interferes with the fit.
          Dale

1982 Suzuki GS1100G
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Honda 250 Rebel
          1973 Yamaha RT3 360

Comment

Working...
          X