X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secondary drive shaft preload

Hopefully someone can offer some advice

Just changing the secondary output drive shaft oil seal on my GS1000G

Manual says do the nut up to 100Nm on the drive flange end and then stake the nut but these are taper roller bearings either end of the shaft so cannot think that is right as for a similar application such as on steering head bearings you just do up to remove the slack. I have never preloaded taper rollers like this before!

If I nip them up the shaft becomes very hard to turn so again cannot believe the torque setting is right

Anyone done it before?

Thanks Nick

you mean here? (This is my 650 but similar?)
    This 1.jpg

There are "shims" involved further down the page?
    100nm is about 75 ft/lbs? and isn't a lot. As I have it, you are seating them with shims involved. When that torque gives the "desired result" you can "lock" the nut.

Comment

if we're "on the same page" It's all tricky in that part of the manual. The arrow shows the shim. The torque is repeatedly applied to seat everything trying various shims until the desired result is achieved..somewhat the result you get at the headset, except that the power and forces are pretty large, at high rpm etc compared to forks AND once assembled, it's a major effort to get back in there, unlike the headset (by comparison). I know I just re-used the original shims as it all seemed to end up with the desired result! Not too tight, not too loose. You don't want the gears moving in and out of mesh much as you go along! and you want your tapered bearings to be happy doing that job.
      This shim.jpg
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-17-2021, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Just reseated the bearing and all good torqued up to 100Nm

Appreciate your help

Nick

Comment

Working...
        X