Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just asking

Default Just asking

What kind of performance can be had out of an old 8 valve 750 and 1000

How much do you want to spend ?

Well lol I mean it's not going to be over night project but I Know it's going to be cashie

There are lots of reviews on-line of these older bikes. They were considered built-like-a-tank rocket-ships in their heyday. If you consider 140 MPH your top speed, these bikes will do it -- but why would you!

My bikes will do 110, but I've never been anywhere near that -- why would I?

'77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    On top of GregT's question you also need to define 'performance'. Road racing, drag racing, sporty street riding, something else? Pump gas, race gas, turbo, nitrous, some other power adder? The limit is pretty high if you have the budget and the willingness to go crazy.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Sporty street and a little drag racing. Nothing to extreme but fun to ride and play with on the weekends

Sporty street and a little drag racing. Nothing to extreme but fun to ride and play with on the weekends
    Okay....There's an easy - but not cheap - 115 - 120 RWHP available from a GS1000. Big bore Wisecos, mild cams, Mikuni RS34/36 carbs, Dyna ignition and a tidy head job. A prperly built reinforced clutch basket is essential.Put together properly and used sensibly this is quite streetable and will last.

Baatfam is online now Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Kinda think stock will do this....just sayin'
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Hi Kevin I used to tinker a bit on those Engines. If you keep the Revs in the stock range they will last a while. A wisecoe 1100 Kit with the Andrews Cams , (think it used to be called a super street kit came with valve springs ,gaskets, camshafts, pistons rings ,)29 smoothbores and cam chain Tsubaki, weld the clutch , 750 oil pump gears, welded crankshaft would run pretty good. If you want to use old parts I think the Suzuki Tempter Valves can be used ,I still have 4 new ones. Cheap large valve modification. Mild head port clean up and match rubbers to intakes and carbs, I also did one with 1100 rods which I machined for a longer dwell at tdc engine. Made beryllium bushings for the small ends. Oil squirters machined into case is also a cheap easy to do idea, aim for underneath the Pistons. One thing if you are planning on driving the beejeezus out of it one piece valves are a great suggestion. As with the 1100 engines overrevving them is a recipe for valve troubles. I dont think many tinker with these much anymore. Myself Im still building engines but 1100 ones for various Hobbies I enjoy. Funny how over the Years my small shed became a 1000 square foot shop full of GS stuff. I still enjoy engine building and currently have a few on the Table. If I can help let me know. Good Luck.

All other things being equal, the 2 valve engines will never be able to compete with the four valve engines.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.