• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just asking

What kind of performance can be had out of an old 8 valve 750 and 1000

How much do you want to spend ?

Comment

Well lol I mean it's not going to be over night project but I Know it's going to be cashie

Comment

There are lots of reviews on-line of these older bikes. They were considered built-like-a-tank rocket-ships in their heyday. If you consider 140 MPH your top speed, these bikes will do it -- but why would you!

My bikes will do 110, but I've never been anywhere near that -- why would I?
        sigpic
        '77 GS550B
        '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
          On top of GregT's question you also need to define 'performance'. Road racing, drag racing, sporty street riding, something else? Pump gas, race gas, turbo, nitrous, some other power adder? The limit is pretty high if you have the budget and the willingness to go crazy.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Sporty street and a little drag racing. Nothing to extreme but fun to ride and play with on the weekends

Comment

Sporty street and a little drag racing. Nothing to extreme but fun to ride and play with on the weekends
              Okay....There's an easy - but not cheap - 115 - 120 RWHP available from a GS1000. Big bore Wisecos, mild cams, Mikuni RS34/36 carbs, Dyna ignition and a tidy head job. A prperly built reinforced clutch basket is essential.Put together properly and used sensibly this is quite streetable and will last.

Comment

Kinda think stock will do this....just sayin'
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Hi Kevin I used to tinker a bit on those Engines. If you keep the Revs in the stock range they will last a while. A wisecoe 1100 Kit with the Andrews Cams , (think it used to be called a super street kit came with valve springs ,gaskets, camshafts, pistons rings ,)29 smoothbores and cam chain Tsubaki, weld the clutch , 750 oil pump gears, welded crankshaft would run pretty good. If you want to use old parts I think the Suzuki Tempter Valves can be used ,I still have 4 new ones. Cheap large valve modification. Mild head port clean up and match rubbers to intakes and carbs, I also did one with 1100 rods which I machined for a longer dwell at tdc engine. Made beryllium bushings for the small ends. Oil squirters machined into case is also a cheap easy to do idea, aim for underneath the Pistons. One thing if you are planning on driving the beejeezus out of it one piece valves are a great suggestion. As with the 1100 engines overrevving them is a recipe for valve troubles. I dont think many tinker with these much anymore. Myself Im still building engines but 1100 ones for various Hobbies I enjoy. Funny how over the Years my small shed became a 1000 square foot shop full of GS stuff. I still enjoy engine building and currently have a few on the Table. If I can help let me know. Good Luck.

Comment

All other things being equal, the 2 valve engines will never be able to compete with the four valve engines.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Once you go 1100 16 valves, you'll NEVER go back to an 8 valve engine!!!!

Comment

Have a look at 80GS1000 build. His motor is basically what you're describing. 1085 with hot cams.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          Have a look at 80GS1000 build. His motor is basically what you're describing. 1085 with hot cams.
                          So is mine
                          Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Upgrade your software.

Take some classes, get some practice, and you can ride circles around the sportybike squids on any stock GS that is running right and has a few well-chosen suspension and brake upgrades.

Biggest bang for the buck by far, and heaps of sick fun.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                            X