Got a complete GS750ES for $1k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It started with choke and would not take throttle inputs. I felt like I'd could get it going. Did oil change. Bought carb rebuild kit and removed and cleaned carbs four times and still carb #3 leaked gas. Called local shop and got the important tip on how to fix leaky carb without separating the rack. It worked! Then I ran it again and saw that it did not work. Bummer : (

Bike currently has an erratic idle which prompted me to buy oem (from a Suzuki dealer in CT) engine side carb boots which will be in the mail tomorrow. Then I'll try to fix the dash that has no light, noticeable when the sun goes down. Got some blinkers in the rear already wired up and functioning.

30,000 miles.

original Suzuki oem grips and most everything else oem.

I'll probably change out the fork oil for some 15W. I plan to put it on ebay for one week to highest bidder starting at $1.00. Just a heads up to you all, enjoy the video, it makes me laugh : D

cheers,
    Last edited by Leo310; 10-26-2021, 11:47 PM.

Great to hear. We need to keep some of these old GS750E/ES around.
    I currently have 2 of them. Got both for free.

Mad
    83 GS750E
    2006 ZX14
    2004 KTM 450 EXC
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Welcome.
      You're in the right place. Looks like you've got a stable-full of other bikes already. What else ya got in there?
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

You say you bought carb rebuild kits and cleaned the carbs 4 times. I think this is your biggest problem. Did you completely tear down the carbs and dip them in carb dip by Berryman's overnight or just shoot some spray cleaner over everything?
        For having gone through the carbs that many times, just my opinion here, but the bike didn't sound very good to me. I don't think the carbs were done properly and bench synched followed by vacuum synching once back on the bike.
        Any stopping (fixing) a leaky carb without removing from the rack?????? Must be some kind of magic going on there.

Please if you are just going to try to flip this bike, at least make it run like a good one should. Otherwise, you will just be another PO to the next owner and we all know about POs.
        Last edited by alke46; 10-20-2021, 01:39 PM.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

For sure, I didn't get the carbs right the first few times. Eventually I noticed that I overlooked the pickup tube and channel in the float bowl. Still #3 carb leaked gas bad. Long story short, the leak was not coming from the #3 float bowl or the float piston/plunger. Agreed the bike doesn't sound very good when the idle gets low but It shouldn't be getting that low.

I made the video to pass along to the gentlemen that I bought it from to show him that I got it running. I even took it out a couple nights. Before I bought it, the bike only started briefly on choke, would not take any throttle, and I had to haul it away in my mini truck. Bro who sold it to me knows his stuff and $1k was a fair price I guess? Bro could have gotten it free for all I know.

I've had it less than one month. Got it running and riding with all four turn signals, fresh oil and filter, new petcock, chain service and air in the tires. No telling how many months or years the other PO's have had it. It's got all the oem parts except front fork reflectors and blinkers. Also missing the front bake switch that toggles the brake light and it has no dash light! The last time I flipped a bike was in the 90's, not sure really? I don't expect to get anything for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Welcome.
            You're in the right place. Looks like you've got a stable-full of other bikes already. What else ya got in there?
            Glad you asked:
            1997 CBR600, 2008 HD 1200R, 2004 DRZ400S with 17'' SM front wheel, 2019 Grom that will do 74mph confirmed GPS (video proof), and another '83 GS750ES

Comment

Damn right, it' going to be running like a good one should!

Comment

No many working on these bikes today. Maybe a sticky on the airbox removal situation?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I've painted myself into a corner, got to get that screw out and then the other and put the engine side intake boot on and pry bar in them carbs etc. If I can get them two screws out the bike will be golden!

Comment

There are several very good carburetor overhaul guys on the forum. Steve did mine. Outstanding job.

Mad
                  83 GS750E
                  2006 ZX14
                  2004 KTM 450 EXC
                  2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

///////QUOTE

//////EndQUOTE

Tell us how you happened to find it? Search for a long time? Travel far to get it?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

It was on facebook market place. It was about 25 miles away from me. Seller had it at $1500 and pretty much said you have to make an offer in person. It was available for a couple weeks. Wife says whatever I paid it was too much.

Comment

Probably won’t be many bikes from that era that don’t need those carb-head boots replaced after this amount of time. I’ve read that if you can get one screw out, with a vice grips maybe, you may then be able to swing the works counter-clockwise, thereby loosening the other screw. You will also want to replace the oring under that boot that seals it against the head.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                          Probably won’t be many bikes from that era that don’t need those carb-head boots replaced after this amount of time. I’ve read that if you can get one screw out, with a vice grips maybe, you may then be able to swing the works counter-clockwise, thereby loosening the other screw. You will also want to replace the oring under that boot that seals it against the head.

Good tip on them other three engine side intake boots/carb holders. I'm inclined to move on, H*#)L $#@%T!, f$#@k. lol.
                          Last edited by Leo310; 10-26-2021, 11:45 PM.

Comment

You’ll likely regret not changing the other 3 boots and their orings.

The 3 wires likely go to your stator, but you’ll need to chase them and find out. Many write ups on the site about fixing the GS charging system. Just connecting the wires back up will not fix the problem that melted the connectors. You can read my charging system saga in my signature. It’s a typical story.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

That's a very clean example of an 83' GS750ES and wonderful condition for a Great price.I also have one that had been garaged for a long time:mine needs($)work.

Comment

Working...
                              X