Base and head gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Base and head gaskets

No longer available at dealership. I'm shopping ebay and I see some from a place in Oregon that goes by the brand name of Nippon Machines.

Just wondering if any forum member has experience with these gaskets or should I just stay with the NOS oem ones from ebay sellers?

Nippon Machines lists the base gasket for my 1000E at $8.50 which seems dirt cheap. Is it true with gaskets that you get what you pay for?

NOS OEM ranges in price from $17.79 to $26.69. Of course, Nippon Machines claims his is better than OEM. Guaranteed fit and function and also made in the USA with materials sourced from here as well.
    Chemically treated to seal against oil, water, alcohol, grease, air and gasoline and solvents.

I think I already know the consensus here will be to stick with OEM even though it is NOS.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Not heard of them personally. It's a lot of work if it doesn't work out...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I went ahead and ordered the NOS OEM ones on ebay. Base gasket was $17.79 and the head gasket was $53.95. With shipping and sales tax, the total came to $86.23.

Hope this is the last time I have to do this job.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Nothing wrong with Cometic gaskets, I've had them on my GS1000/1085 for years. Just a check on head nut torque annually.
        My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
          No longer available at dealership. I'm shopping ebay and I see some from a place in Oregon that goes by the brand name of Nippon Machines.

Just wondering if any forum member has experience with these gaskets or should I just stay with the NOS oem ones from ebay sellers? ...
          My only experience with them is that I have received a couple of valve cover gaskets for future use.
          Have not even opened the package yet.

Comment

Thanks, I guess we will all just have to wait until you change that valve cover gasket. Please do a review or at least an update when you replace the VC gasket.

The information you can provide would be a good service to others.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
              I went ahead and ordered the NOS OEM ones on ebay. Base gasket was $17.79 and the head gasket was $53.95. With shipping and sales tax, the total came to $86.23.

Hope this is the last time I have to do this job.
              Oof. That's about how much a paid for a whole gasket set that came with base gasket, head gasket, orings, camchain tunnel gasket, and gasket for all the covers.
              Haven't had an issue with them yet aside from them being very easy to rip (I hate cardboard gaskets). Guess time will tell.
              $100 1978 GS400 Rebuild (Outdated thread, new one soon!).
              - Indicator light diode mod
              - LED underglow kit
              - Aftermarket LED headlight bucket
              - Hex head engine case bolt kit
              - SH775A Reg/Rec upgrade
              - Dynatek Dyna S ignition
              - All Balls taper bearing steering stem mod
              - Dynatek 5ohm ignition coils and NGK caps
              - Custom cafe seat

Comment

I installed one of the Nippon Machines valve cover gaskets, no issues or leaks yet. Fit was fine. We'll see how it looks whenever I remove it, likely this winter for top end rebuild.
                1978 GS 750 E
                1979 XS11 Standard
                1973 CB450

Comment

I have noticed quite a range of head gaskets. Some cheap ones look about like cereal box cardboard, and Suzuki OEM (that I did get eBay seller NOS) is stiffer fiber material with metal on one side that is formed around and thru onto other side around the cylinder holes and stud holes. I can’t help but think that would provide much better service.

huh !
                  NLA for 79 GS1100 ((Errr, I mean 79 GS1000 that OP Mr Larry Alke mentioned)

hum…… next might be the early 80s models, eh

this past spring it seemed all were available for 82 1100G(GK).
                  … but last week I ordered pan gasket (Babbitt) and it was missing from my shipment,

////////QUOTE
                  For order #: 2563697, the manufacturer has contacted us regarding this order. This order contains one or more parts that are having a nationwide supply chain delay at this time. The part that is delayed, along with the estimated availability date, are as follows:
                  Part Number: 11489-45001-H17
                  Part Description: GASKET,OIL PAN
                  Estimated Availability Date: NO ESTIMATED RELEASE DATE
                  Last edited by Redman; 10-21-2021, 09:45 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

What's a 79 GS 1100?
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      I have noticed quite a range of head gaskets. Some cheap ones look about like cereal box cardboard, and Suzuki OEM (that I did get eBay seller NOS) is stiffer fiber material with metal on one side that is formed around and thru onto other side around the cylinder holes and stud holes. I can’t help but think that would provide much better service.

huh !
                      NLA for 79 GS1100

hum…… next might be the early 80s, eh

this past spring it seemed all were available for 82 1100G(GK).
                      … but last week I ordered pan gasket (Babbitt) and it was missing from my shipment, siad “back order, out of stock at Suzuki, no release date given” …… hum…..
                      This is the head gasket design I got with my pack. Has metal rings around the cylinders and has built-in red o-rings on the corners.
                      I'll have to take a look when I get home and see what brand is stamped on my gasket sets I have two and one was definitely better quality.
                      $100 1978 GS400 Rebuild (Outdated thread, new one soon!).
                      - Indicator light diode mod
                      - LED underglow kit
                      - Aftermarket LED headlight bucket
                      - Hex head engine case bolt kit
                      - SH775A Reg/Rec upgrade
                      - Dynatek Dyna S ignition
                      - All Balls taper bearing steering stem mod
                      - Dynatek 5ohm ignition coils and NGK caps
                      - Custom cafe seat

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        What's a 79 GS 1100?
                        opps. Typo. I meant the 79 GS1000 that the original poster mentioned.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Well I see some updates on the availability of some of these parts that are supposedly no longer available. Partzilla just lists them as unavailable, but now started showing an ETA on some critical parts, like the GS1100G/GS1000/GS850 MLS head gasket.
                          It now shows an estimated arrival of $255 days.. so at least Suzuki are planning on selling more of these when supply chain problems related to covid subside.
                          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                          '79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                          X