RIP Wes Cooley....my story meeting Wes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of good articles...

Former American works Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda racer Wes Cooley passed away October 16 at his home in Twin Falls, Idaho, from complications associated with li

I especially like this one with tributes from other riders...

Wes Cooley, two-time AMA Superbike Champion and Motorcycle Hall of Fame inductee, dies at 65.
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      No, the kiss got smeared but I did clear coat the tank signature. I had taken a close pic of the lipstick though and had decals of it made....I have one under the seat.
      Doubtful anything could seal it clear coat would diso,ve it. And peel off eventually
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

A bit late to replying, but Trevor thanks posting this and sharing your adventures with Wes. I didn't follow sports growing up and only became aware of the Superbike racers of the heyday when I got into GSs.
        Agreed about the humility of his not pulling out the champ card in his nursing career. Too cool.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I bought my KZ650 in 1980. I read this cycle world article then, became a Wes fan, and swore to get a Suzuki and become him. Or at least pretend to be him. It was really a great read then and today......

Thanks Trev for re-introducing us to our legend... and your friend. Condolences.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Just recieved my AMA magazine.

Cover story is about Wess Cooley 1956-2021, ten pages, lot of pictures.
            Pictures and storys mostly about his early years (74-77) racing with Yoshmira/Kawasaki. And the engine power increasing beyound the chassis and tires could handle. ANd then some about the later years racing with Yosmira/Suzuki. And a little about his other carrer (surgical nurse) for 25+ years. And a lot about being invited back to a VintageMOtorcycle Days weekend in 2016 (that story sounds a lot like Trevors story).

Last edited by Redman; 12-20-2021, 10:40 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              Just recieved my AMA magazine.

Cover story is about Wess Cooley 1956-2021, ten pages, lot of pictures.
              Pictures and storys mostly about his early years (74-77) racing with Yoshmira/Kawasaki. And the engine power increasing beyound the chassis and tires could handle. ANd then some about the later years racing with Yosmira/Suzuki. And a little about his other carrer (surgical nurse) for 25+ years. And a lot about being invited back to a VintageMOtorcycle Days weekend in 2016 (that story sounds a lot like Trevors story).

Hey that's cool Dave, I wonder if you could look in the magazine for how I could get a copy.
              Cheers
              No signature

Comment

I did not see anything in the magazine after a (very) brief search, but you might find something online.

It's the January 2022 issue.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                  Hey that's cool Dave, I wonder if you could look in the magazine for how I could get a copy.
                  Cheers
                  I saw about $20 /year subscription (covered with membership), but nothing about a single issue.

I could email you photos of the artical (5 double pages) and cover.

Hey, I would be glad to mail my issue to you in a couple days.
                  (PM your contact info.)

Artical is also intersting for how it describes how the Kaw engine improved power (race engine twice stock production) beyound what the chassis and tires could handle, but during those years the Euro bikes (Ducati, BMW and such) were winning more because of better high speed handling. THen later, yoshorma/Suzuki, with improved chassis - thats when Wess Cooley started winning more.

Dave
                  Last edited by Redman; 12-20-2021, 11:24 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Trev, Emails sent (I had your hotmail addrs)

Comment

Working...
                    X